Drive Model To Get J. Rockett's "The Dude" Tone

TheloniusJ

Experienced
Does anyone have any suggestions on a drive model to use to emulate J Rockett's The Dude pedal?

I'm a huge Mark Lettieri fan and recently listened to his old podcast interview with Jude Gold on "No Guitar Is Safe" (Episode 26). Jude starts talking about how bad ass his distortion tone was and it made him go out and buy the Dude. Listening to the tones Mark is getting in that interview, I agree and I'd really love to get something similar happening with my FM3.

Any thoughts?

The Dude was my favorite pedal back when I still used pedals and an amp. Your best bet is to use the Klone Chiron and tweek from there.

Since The Dude is a Dumble-style overdrive, I bet the Zen Master overdrive with some EQ tweaks would do the job. I’m a huge fan of The Dude pedal myself.

I have 2 of 'em on 2 pedalboards, a V1 and a V2. Great great tones.

I had a few types of Zendrives in the past, but the Dude was better than any of them tonally speaking. I've tried the Zendrive model with the BFSR (which is what I used to use when I had a SR) but I cannot seem to get it to sound like the Dude. It's somewhat close but darker and sort of muddy.

FWIW, I've found the CA OD-2 model actually cops the Dude tone better sans and drives. Go figure.

I have 2 of 'em on 2 pedalboards, a V1 and a V2. Great great tones.

I had a few types of Zendrives in the past, but the Dude was better than any of them tonally speaking. I've tried the Zendrive model with the BFSR (which is what I used to use when I had a SR) but I cannot seem to get it to sound like the Dude. It's somewhat close but darker and sort of muddy.

FWIW, I've found the CA OD-2 model actually cops the Dude tone better sans and drives. Go figure.
I was using this amp model for a bit. Really nice.

I would take a look at the ODS HRM amp model. Crank the master volume and adjust the rest to taste. Very convincing fat Dumble overdrive, no drive pedal necessary.
For sure, but for my current requirement I have to get the dirt from a drive block. My main sound is edge of break-up and I have a couple of scenes I need for dirty leads. I've tried having scenes where I change the amp channel to leverage the amp dirt, but you really can't have this be seamless; there is always a gap/glitch and because there is so much space in what we play these gaps are too noticeable. I have to stick with a drive for this.

For sure, but for my current requirement I have to get the dirt from a drive block. My main sound is edge of break-up and I have a couple of scenes I need for dirty leads. I've tried having scenes where I change the amp channel to leverage the amp dirt, but you really can't have this be seamless; there is always a gap/glitch and because there is so much space in what we play these gaps are too noticeable. I have to stick with a drive for this.
Maybe try scene modifiers? A little more hassle to set up and balance levels, but they are essentially seamless...

Maybe try scene modifiers? A little more hassle to set up and balance levels, but they are essentially seamless...
I may do that. I use scene modifiers for a few other purposes (e.g. delay mix), but haven't done this with trying to move the amp into the cranked zone.

I may do that. I use scene modifiers for a few other purposes (e.g. delay mix), but haven't done this with trying to move the amp into the cranked zone.
You could also sweep multiple parameters using an expression pedal. For example, increasing input drive and overdrive while reducing preset level to compensate. You could even set it up to activate your input boost at the tip to give you a solo boost. Tons of options with a single scene modifier.

You could also sweep multiple parameters using an expression pedal. For example, increasing input drive and overdrive while reducing preset level to compensate. You could even set it up to activate your input boost at the tip to give you a solo boost. Tons of options with a single scene modifier.
I've played around with this a bit. I actually used to do something like this with my Elevenrack. They have a multifunction expression option where you can assign a bunch of parameters to a single pedal.

The big issue I'm having with the FM3 is that I only have one expression pedal (I use the other pedal input for a Mosky two-button). I've actually seriously been considering the FM9 for this reason or getting a Morningstar MIDI controller (or similar) mostly to give myself more expression pedals. On that note, if I do go with the FM9, I'll likely run two amp blocks and have a dirty and clean amp set up. This would address my seamless switching need.

Control Switches are another way to change multiple parameters seamlessly. I use one for a boost/solo function that is attached to several parameters.

I've played around with this a bit. I actually used to do something like this with my Elevenrack. They have a multifunction expression option where you can assign a bunch of parameters to a single pedal.

The big issue I'm having with the FM3 is that I only have one expression pedal (I use the other pedal input for a Mosky two-button). I've actually seriously been considering the FM9 for this reason or getting a Morningstar MIDI controller (or similar) mostly to give myself more expression pedals. On that note, if I do go with the FM9, I'll likely run two amp blocks and have a dirty and clean amp set up. This would address my seamless switching need.
AudioFront Expression IO...

I used it a lot back when I had an AX8, worked quite well. It made scene level balancing a little tricky, but it worked pretty well as I recall.

Control Switches are another way to change multiple parameters seamlessly. I use one for a boost/solo function that is attached to several parameters.
Yes I currently do this as well, but pretty much limit it to the input gain boost and the fat switch.

I used it a lot back when I had an AX8, worked quite well. It made scene level balancing a little tricky, but it worked pretty well as I recall.
As long as you attach the modifier to the preset level and sweep it in reverse (make the level go down as the gain goes up) you should be able to balance the volume without much issue.

Back
Top Bottom