Drive help

msmith886

Inspired
I am really having trouble finding some good settings and drives on the ax8 I like.

My old rig I used a TS9, Mojo DMBL, and Wampler Paisley OD.

I have tried a bunch of drives but so far a lot of them just haven't sounded how I want. Maybe I am doing something wrong with settings on here or picking the wrong ones.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice ?

I use a bunch of different ones. But a lot of it sounds like that fake OD sound or not loud and just way too much gain and then some sounds great.

I use the ts 808's and Zen Masters some so far but having issues with settings on it.

Amp wise I use the keith urban tweed amps, dr z, double verb, vibrolux etc and haven't gotten into much cab work yet.

It's like the volume just goes away on some and others just goes insanely high and too much low or bass and gain and sounds like crap

The volume does seem all over the place on some. I made a dumble patch tonight for the first time and I've been messing around with it all night. With it I like the Esoteric RCB (Drive:5, Tone:7 Vol:3) and the Super OD (Drive:3 Tone:6 Vol:4). For more agressive the Tube Drv 3-Knob (Drive:5, Tone:5, Vol:4) and the Rat (Drive:5, Tone:5, Vol:6).

It sounded better. I don't I guess I am just frustrated. It's hard to hear it through a practice amp and in ears vs an actual system but at the same time it shouldn't be this difficult to dial in everything either. I want to get my settings down and volume levels right and move on and get back to focusing on playing.

It sounded better. I don't I guess I am just frustrated. It's hard to hear it through a practice amp and in ears vs an actual system but at the same time it shouldn't be this difficult to dial in everything either. I want to get my settings down and volume levels right and move on and get back to focusing on playing.
take a break. you are learning a new unit that does everything, so you have to learn everything, and you're trying to learn it very quickly.

i think the drives sound great. maybe you can upload a preset for us that you think doesn't sound great, and we can help you from there. probably the best way to help you at this point. we need to hear what YOU think isn't good and look at the settings.

Good point man. I am not looking for the heavy metal tones or anything. Just some good OD's really. I like play strats and tele's and like John Mayer, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Clapton, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Keith Urban etc.

I will upload some here soon. Do you or anyone else have any patches or whatever they could send I could try out ?

Guess the biggest thing right now is figuring out the volume issue and learn one thing at a time on here.

I have found it takes some trial and error... I used a real Vox amp with a Timmy\TS9 and it sounds great, but in the Axe it is not the same thing. I prefer the Fender Twin with drives a lot more and have some kick ass fuzz tones.

I find it a joy to run through all of the drives. Its like having the keys to the cabinet in a music store. Let me try that one! Nah... Let me try that one!

I make notes and write down my faves and basically boils it down to what I want to hear. Oh - and depending on the amp type, I some drives will sound better than others.

Back
Top Bottom