Drive 'Envelope' from FX Loop input instead of main input ?

Horganovski

Experienced
I'm trying to create a particular effect here where I use the Envelope modifier to drive a parameter but I need that envelope to come from the signal hitting the Axe FX from the FX Loop input rather than the main input. But it seems this is not possible, or perhaps some routing gurus can advise how to do it?

On a related note - a dedicated auto wah/envelope filter block would do the same thing but I don't see one. (by Auto wah I mean one that opens depending on how loud you play rather than something just connected to a LFO or similar).

Any ideas appreciated!

Envelope controller only responds to input levels from the Main Input Source (Input 1, USB, or SPDIF/AES selected from the I/O menu). The input is tracked before the grid, so using Input 2 via the FX Loop block is not an option. This feature has been on the wish list for a while. Maybe adding a dedicated Envelope block would allow placement on the grid to select the trigger signal location. If no Envelope block is placed, use the main input like it does now.

Thanks, that's what I feared. Pity there isn't a dedicated Envelope block, seems like a feature that would compliment all of the existing modifiers and would be more useful in some case than several of them.

Good to have confirmation rather than continuing to search for it, thanks again.

I'm trying to create a particular effect here where I use the Envelope modifier to drive a parameter but I need that envelope to come from the signal hitting the Axe FX from the FX Loop input rather than the main input. But it seems this is not possible, or perhaps some routing gurus can advise how to do it?

On a related note - a dedicated auto wah/envelope filter block would do the same thing but I don't see one. (by Auto wah I mean one that opens depending on how loud you play rather than something just connected to a LFO or similar).

Any ideas appreciated!
Assign the Envelope controller to the Control knob on the Wah block... Adjust envelope settings to taste.

Also, search the forum for the "mutron" thread. Excellent example in there.

Assign the Envelope controller to the Control knob on the Wah block... Adjust envelope settings to taste.

That won't work because the Envelope controller is only fed from the main input, I need to drive it from the envelope of the signal hitting the Effects Loop.

Can you describe the goal in more detail? What would be connected to Input 2? What parameter do you want to control?

In a nutshell - I have a guitar plugged into the main input and a sampler connected in via the Effects Loop which has a separate signal path/track in the patch so it can be processed separately to the guitar tone. (I'm doing weird looper based music :)
I want to create an auto wah/envelope filter type effect that's driven by the signal from the sampler not the guitar.

That might be tough to imitate in another way. You could try something like sending lows through a compressor and highs through an expander. It could definitely sound like something's happening EQ-wise but may not sound very close to an actual wah/filter sweep.

That won't work because the Envelope controller is only fed from the main input, I need to drive it from the envelope of the signal hitting the Effects Loop.

My response was to this part of your post:

But reading everything again, I guess I understand now - you want to put the (auto)wah in the signal following the loop return? Doesn't the Envelope have a local/global selection? Or am I thinking of the pitch detector?

you want to put the (auto)wah in the signal following the loop return? Doesn't the Envelope have a local/global selection? Or am I thinking of the pitch detector?

Yes exactly that. Re 'local/global'.. hmmm I'm not sure, where would that option be if it exists? I've looked around but didn't see it, it's not on the 'Control' page.

Back
Top Bottom