Drive control range for pedals on the Drive Block

Chiguete

Experienced
So today looking at @2112 the new video showing his new recording preset and when he goes on discribing what he did he mentions that he uses the new AXEIII boost option to let you sellect the type of boost to use and level and I had to stop right there... now I allready had this question in my head since the first time I saw this new option on videos and it is regarding that Boost Level that you can set it up by dB instead of a 1-10 value like on the pedals. So I did a little searching around and found this:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index.php?title=Drive
"DRIVE - Sets the input drive level.
The Drive control has a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model it emulates. Many actual drive pedals have less range than this so there isn’t necessarily a one-to-one correspondence to the knob position on the model and the knob position on the emulated pedal. 5 - 10 for the Drive effect is equal to 0 - 10 on the emulated pedal. For example, an SD-1 has 30 dB of range so fully CCW on an SD-1 is equivalent to 2.5 on the model. A TS-9 (or 808 or 10) has only 20 dB of drive range, so you would need to set the Drive knob to 5.00 to replicate fully CCW on that pedal. With the Drive set to maximum it will always be the same as the Drive set to maximum on the emulated pedal. Same with the Level."

Now my real question is this... for us that try to emulate the Drive at 0 and Level at 10 to push the amp harder does this mean that when using the TS808 you have to set the Drive at 5 instead of 0 since what it says above is that the pedals have more range down down to cut dBs thank the actual pedals but the Level at 10 stays the same?

Also @FractalAudio since I don't have an AXEIII does Boost Level go op to 40dB?

The quote in the OP is from the old wiki. The range of the Drive models was changed with the introduction of G3 modeling.

Firmware 19.00:
  • Improved many of the Drive models by applying “G3” techniques. Note that this may cause significant changes to the behavior of some models. Of particular note is that the taper of the Drive and Level controls has changed in many of the models and may differ substantially from previous firmware. Models that have been fully converted to G3 models are indicated in the name.

Ahh cool, so that would make me guess that the Drive and Level dB range is now like each real pedal correct?

Also, even tho the AX8 doesn't use the Boost options on the Amp block I'm curious to know how does the meters relate from the Drive Block (0-10) and on the Amp block Boost options that is in dB. @FractalAudio

a bit off topic, but I have been attaching the gain on the drive block to the pitch controller. So, power chords get minimal drive while higher single soloing notes get much more gain and sustain. Pretty slick.
Ohhh can you show that please?

a bit off topic, but I have been attaching the gain on the drive block to the pitch controller. So, power chords get minimal drive while higher single soloing notes get much more gain and sustain. Pretty slick.

How would I go about doing that? Do you have a preset that you could share?

Here is a preset I just whipped up to show the effect. Both the drive block drive amount and the mix of delay are controlled by the pitch. Basically the higher pitch the note, the more gain and delay are generated.

If you right click on the yellow symbol in the middle of the drive block drive knob you will see the controller parameters.

Attachments

• pitch control drive.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 8

I remember someone here mentioning this a while back and forgot about it. Seemed like a great functionality. I may actually have to try this. Thanks. ( I could use a 25 or 26 hour day , to get more out of my FAS gear )

The thing with pitch control is that when playing chords the detected pitch will be the lower part of the chord (or the intermodulation? frequency). Attaching the pitch controller to gain will then not result in the higher frequencies being distorted more than the lower frequencies but the entire signal distortion will be steered down.

The thing with pitch control is that when playing chords the detected pitch will be the lower part of the chord (or the intermodulation? frequency). Attaching the pitch controller to gain will then not result in the higher frequencies being distorted more than the lower frequencies but the entire signal distortion will be steered down.

I would think that for the “edge of breakup” guys , this could be a good thing. The lead work on the higher notes , is usually where I miss the gain.

The technical why or how something should or shouldn't work doesn't really matter if the desired results are achieved. That's one of the major benefits of the digital realm; there are things that can be done that shouldn't work in the "real world".

Back
Top Bottom