Drive Blocks

DaveP

Inspired
When adding a drive block the level is extremely high. The default value is 5 on these. Is this normal?
I find I have to turn the level between 1 and 2 depending on the type.

It depends on what you're trying to do and if your amp is clean or dirty already. Drive blocks can boost an overdriven amp, or dirty up a clean amp. What are you trying to do with your setup?

When adding a drive block the level is extremely high. The default value is 5 on these. Is this normal?
I find I have to turn the level between 1 and 2 depending on the type.
My experience with the FX8's drives has been similar, the level has needed to be in the 2.0-3.5 range, in my case, to achieve the same volume as the amp without the drive. However, the drive's level seems to be dependent upon the volume of the amp. I've found that with an amp at lower volumes, the level needs to be lower as well. As the amp's volume is increased, the drive's level needs to be increased to achieve the same results. I suppose if the amp were loud enough, a higher setting like the default 5 could work just fine but I've never had my amps loud enough (I like being able to hear :cool:) to confirm whether this is true or not.

I have found this to be true with the overdrives and distortions I've used in the past. I've never had a stompbox that could be set higher than @ 30% without being louder than the amp alone. Unless it was used as a boost or for a solo tone, there isn't a pedal I've used that could be set at 50%.

My setup is the 4CM into a Two Rock using clean channel. I found with drive pedals it is also the case. The level has to be significantly reduced to match the bypass volume. I do use my ears to adjust, that's common sense. but the defaults at 5 are extremely hot.
So auditioning patches the volume spike from the preset is extremely high with drives in the chain. I'll have to adjust all to equal out the volume.
Thanks for all your suggestions and input.

My setup is the 4CM into a Two Rock using clean channel. I found with drive pedals it is also the case. The level has to be significantly reduced to match the bypass volume. I do use my ears to adjust, that's common sense. but the defaults at 5 are extremely hot.
So auditioning patches the volume spike from the preset is extremely high with drives in the chain. I'll have to adjust all to equal out the volume.
Thanks for all your suggestions and input.
you would think, but the number of newer users who get hung up on the numbers not matching what they think they should be would blow your mind.

Back
Top Bottom