Drive Block

Alarto

Inspired
Hi there,

I'm still a bit uncertain about the Drive Block functionality. Your advice is highly appreciated!

1. Some (if not all?) drive pedals pleads some amount of clean signal through. I assume this is already modeled correctly and I don't have to worry about the Mix parameter i.e. leave it always 100 %, right?

2. Does the Drive Block and especially the Level parameter interact with the AMP Block by bushing the Amp input i.e. no need to increase the AMP Block's Input Trim parameter? Would be nice to understand how this is done!

3. Do you mostly find the Level parameter up to 10 is enough? Could this be increased?

4. A wish: add a "Output Volume" parameter to the Drive Block i.e. volume increase without affecting to the sound. Other words, when you have found the right "drive on" sound, set it output volume appropriate for you solo etc...

Thanks!

I noticed the clean signal bleed after the last update. Even with the drive mix at 100%. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Maybe the controls changed but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to get 100% drive signal with no clean signal bleed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For example, TS 808 has maximum gain + 30 dB, how does this correlate with the Level parameter? I remember reading somewhere that this pedal bleeds 50 % try signal but can't confirm it....

Just like a real amp, I'd you put a drive pedal in front of a high gain amp tone, turning the level up will increase the saturation and gain, not really the volume.

Drive pedals on clean amp sounds will increase the volume though, like normal as well.

For a boost, he source of volume must be after the Amp. Most proper use a Filter block set to Null type and increase the Level. You can use a Scene to engage both the Drive and Filter at the same time. Or use the Output block Main slider to increase the volume for that lead Scene - no need for the Filter in that case.

... For a boost, he source of volume must be after the Amp. Most proper use a Filter block set to Null type and increase the Level. You can use a Scene to engage both the Drive and Filter at the same time. Or use the Output block Main slider to increase the volume for that lead Scene - no need for the Filter in that case.

That's what I forgot! Can't use scenes for this in my patches but I guess it would it be possible to engage Filter and Drive at the same time?

The most important questions are 1. Mix parameter vs. real pedal and 2. pushing an Amp input with a drive pedal (that's where miracles start happen). I owned a TS 808 in the '80s and played it until I totally crushed into pieces under my foot :) The best ever!

The most important questions are 1. Mix parameter vs. real pedal and 2. pushing an Amp input with a drive pedal (

1. Cliff: "The models let clean through even with the mix at 100%. It depends on the diodes though as to how much clean is mixed. Our models are based on the most common versions."
Manual: MIX – Controls the ratio of dry to wet. This should normally be set to “100%.”

2. Manual: LEVEL – Sets the output level. Even a clean-sounding drive can be used to “push” an amp to more distortion.

Ok, thank you all for your replies! I think it's only the man himself who can answer to the pushing the amp "issue". I might be totally wrong and most likely am but... IMHO, higher Drive Block Level values leads to too much saturation and to fuzzy sound with my loving TS 808. I have usually compensated this with setting both Drive (Level) and Amp (Input Trim) values. But, as we all know... what ever suits you is fine! However, this has a drawback with minimizing the number of patches or scenes.

The drive blocks do push the front ends of the amps.

Pushes front end, but not always volume. The two aren't the same.
On a real low wattage tube amp or amps where the preamp is really saturated, a lot of times you'll notice more sag and compression, but no volume increase regardless of level.
There's just no headroom left to increase volume in this case.

Sent from my iPhone

Cliff, are you sure the dry bleed is correct??

I compared the BB Pre drive block to my real BB preamp pedal.
I hear more dry bleed with the drive block.

Could you make it possible for us to control the amount of dry bleed in a future update?
That would be a really nice feature :)
Per

Back
Top Bottom