Drive Block vs. Input Drive

bgeorge

Maybe this has been answered somewhere, but I could not find much info on it.

What exactly is the difference between using a drive block prior to an amp block vs. the amp’s Input Drive, besides choices of drive types?

Is it tonal shaping, or the way/position the gain is modulated?

Sweet - thanks for the link. So basically it is a good option to save some CPU, but the drive block offers more drive types and tone shaping options.

A drive block may also change your tone, where input drive keeps your tone the same.
I don't agree with that. Changing the Input Drive can definitely change the tone...

I think maybe you are referring to the pre-EQ that will typically happen when using a Drive block (or the Input Boost drive types)?

I prefer using the input drive vs a drive block. It started as a CPU saver and now it’s one of my favourite features.

I find that if some amp blocks do not have as much gain a drive block helps with adding additional saturation as well as a different tonal sound (if that's what you want), Its also nice bc you can change using scenes especially if you have already used all 4 channels in a scene then the drive block can provide additional options in your channel.

If you just want to hit the amp harder (or not as hard), without the interactions that come with input drive, that's Input Trim.

The "Input Trim" has long been my favorite 'clean cut/boost'. It works great with Scene Controllers if you want a cut/boost to an amp; you don't need an extra block (Drive, EQ, etc.), can do that on a single amp channel, etc....it can make for some great CPU optimizations and smoother switching.

Previous to Cygnus, I've experimented connecting it to an expression pedal to variably drive the front end more, or less, with sometimes better effective result then using the guitar volume knob. You get a lot of overall distortion range and variations using a single amp doing that. However, with Cygnus, the guitar's volume control is so much more effective and 'plays differently' that all has changed.

Back
Top Bottom