Drive Block Status

but here we are talking about the virtuel fuzz pedals in the Axe, and whether they could model the real dynamic behavior of a real fuzz after the drive blok update (or ever), as that would mean
1) I could retire my real fuzz pedals for live use
2) I could always use a wireless guitar system with my Axe III

Yeah yeah, the afx3 buffer is on input 1, the drives are fine regarding authenticity, there's just not a way to get around the input 1 buffer. right just now at the moment. Is there hardware buffers on inputs 2 3 4 etc?

Well, if the fuzz models in the Axe III gets on par with the real deal, I might put another exp pedal on the board to control the pedal gain/input and try that as a potential work around.
I realize that it's not absolutely the as the real volume pot interaction, but it might be close enough - has anybody tried that with the current fuzz pedals ??

I’ve been able to match by Chasetone red Stardust and AM NKT red dot, and JAM Pedals oc44 germaniums at given knob and guitar pot settings pretty well. Change the Axe impedance, change the drive block settings, change the guitar volume pot, and you can get pretty much any of the possible tones. I’ve tried saving these as channels and it works pretty well if you change the channel and change your volume pot. It works pretty well but still isn’t entirely dynamic, so I’ve still got some pedals.

I also have a wireless rack, and when I use that, I don’t use my fuzz pedals. For those times I want a ‘proper’ fuzz, I simply plug in the cord, go into the fuzz, running off battery, and then into the front input, sounds great and while it isn’t 100% perfect, its 100% the tone of a fuzz into a great amp (or model of an amp I should say lol).

Don’t see that changing any time soon

For those chomping at the bit:
1. New Drive block algorithm (FASPICE) implemented and working.
2. Currently going through each pedal and comparing to real pedal.
3. Cool features: You can select the type and number of diodes for the positive and negative polarity. The "dry" level is adjustable. I.e. for a Tube Screamer this is 1.0 by default but you can decrease/increase to taste.
4. Sounds great.
badass!

I’ve been able to match by Chasetone red Stardust and AM NKT red dot, and JAM Pedals oc44 germaniums at given knob and guitar pot settings pretty well. Change the Axe impedance, change the drive block settings, change the guitar volume pot, and you can get pretty much any of the possible tones. I’ve tried saving these as channels and it works pretty well if you change the channel and change your volume pot. It works pretty well but still isn’t entirely dynamic, so I’ve still got some pedals.

I also have a wireless rack, and when I use that, I don’t use my fuzz pedals. For those times I want a ‘proper’ fuzz, I simply plug in the cord, go into the fuzz, running off battery, and then into the front input, sounds great and while it isn’t 100% perfect, its 100% the tone of a fuzz into a great amp (or model of an amp I should say lol).

Don’t see that changing any time soon

This is exactly what I've been doing as well :)

Sometimes I have the fuzz pedal(s) in a midi controlled mini switcher (RJM) without the buffer engaged in front off the Axe III's front input, sometimes just the pedal(s) between my guitar and the Axe III's front input

I've never tried putting a fuzz tone as the first block in the Axe FX.

Q1: If you plugged a Stratocaster into a real vintage fuzz face, then into the Axe FXIII, would the fuzz face react the same as if you were plugging your guitar straight into a fuzz then into a real Marshall?

Q2: As far as the buffer goes, If you put a fuzz as the first block in the Axe FXIII would it react the same as if it was going into a real amp as described above.

I've never tried putting a fuzz tone as the first block in the Axe FX.

Q1: If you plugged a Stratocaster into a real vintage fuzz face, then into the Axe FXIII, would the fuzz face react the same as if you were plugging your guitar straight into a fuzz then into a real Marshall?

Q2: As far as the buffer goes, If you put a fuzz as the first block in the Axe FXIII would it react the same as if it was going into a real amp as described above.
Q1: yes
Q2: No, cause it’s now buffered.

The fuzz pedal(s) need to “see” your pickups, they interact with the impedence. That’s why you can’t run a real fuzz through the loop of the AxeFX with the same result as running it pre AxeFx.

What about a "virtual PU impedance" parameter, assignable to a modifier? With a pedal, or input envelope we could "fake" the interaction...

It’s been suggested in the past. I figure they would have implemented something along those lines were it a suitable substitute, but my understanding is that it isn’t as simple (or feasible) as that.

What about a "virtual PU impedance" parameter, assignable to a modifier? With a pedal, or input envelope we could "fake" the interaction...

Even if it worked you’d have to change that parameter while you also adjusted your guitar volume pot, so it would be kind of a PITA in my opinion.

It’s not like you can’t get some clean up as is too, just isn’t the same as certain fuzz pedals hooked up straight to the guitar, but only certain fuzz pedals do this even, really just germanium.

A lot of players don’t even like germanium, finding it too wooly and muddy, but others do like how it cleans up. A lot prefer a silicon fuzz which doesn’t clean up the same bit that can be a bit more cutting sound. Early era Hendrix vs Band of Gypsy era for example.

Other fuzz like a big muff works fine after a buffer with many preferring it that way, and I even run my hardware fuzz in the Axe loop, works and sounds fine.

Point is, it’s easy to blow this buffer and cleanup stuff out of proportion. Isn’t a factor in most cases, just for certain vintage fuzz deigns, ala a analogman man nkt275, bit if you like bc108 or similar, it’s not even a real issue.

Bottom line is guys are doing Hendrix, Gilmour and all those classic fuzz tones with the Axe and it sounds great, so sure one can complain about the cleanup, or that a certain big muff isn’t modeled which Gilmour used, but the results speak for themselves.

Has anyone felt Brit Floyd doesn’t sound “right” because their Axe’s didn’t have a certain model ? I don’t think so, they are always spot on tone wise. Heck, Bobby didn’t even use a muff models at all and sounded great.

I still prefer getting my distortion from the amp. I played professionally for 25 years and never in that time did I ever use a distortion/fuzz/drive/etc. pedal.
This is how I felt until recently. Personally, I always thought such pedals were a fix for people who just didn't have the right amp to get the sound they wanted. That all changed for me when I played a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe through my dad's '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. I get it now. I had to go out and get that pedal for myself - such an incredible sound and feel. Playing it through the Axe-Fx blackface twin model is nothing short of inspiring. Admittedly it's probably just my lack of knowledge, but I can't get that sound with what's in the box now. I'm really hoping this drive update gets us there. Yet another incredible addition to the exceptional sounds in the Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
I still prefer getting my distortion from the amp. I played professionally for 25 years and never in that time did I ever use a distortion/fuzz/drive/etc. pedal.
Fractal has weaned me from the multi-drives setup. I used to run 4-5 overdrives/distortions into an amp to get different gain stages and structures. I could see the "need" when having to lug around at least a couple of amps to get the desired tones but with the numerous amp models and switchable boost/modifier options in Fractal products, it doesn't make sense to rely on drives anymore. I do still like a couple of the Drive models but since using my AX8 for the last half year, now moving on to the Axe III, I have learned how to use amps to get the gain type and level I need.

Fractal has weaned me from the multi-drives setup. I used to run 4-5 overdrives/distortions into an amp to get different gain stages and structures. I could see the "need" when having to lug around at least a couple of amps to get the desired tones but with the numerous amp models and switchable boost/modifier options in Fractal products, it doesn't make sense to rely on drives anymore. I do still like a couple of the Drive models but since using my AX8 for the last half year, now moving on to the Axe III, I have learned how to use amps to get the gain type and level I need.
I am with Cliff on this. Since I got the AXE3 I dont use drive blocks for heavy and even dirty tones anymore. I still use one on for my cleanish sound. Just to add a little grit and shimmer. Cant get that sound without an SDD preamp drive block.

I'm trying to keep and open mind but so far, nope, still not digging drive pedals. I've matched five pedals so far and the only ones I kinda like are the TS-808 and SD-1. Just finished the Hermida Zendrive which is supposed to be so great and that thing sounds like cr@p IMO.

Back
Top Bottom