Drive block Mix...

Do you guys experience a loss in volume when you kick on your drive block? It may be dependent on the settings of the amp or what type of amp, but I was checking the VU meter and using my ears and there was definitely a loss of volume when i turned it on. That was a no go for me. I tend to think that the dirtier your tone the more likely it could have the potential to get loss in the mix. I assinged a 1.5 Db filter after the amp block to make up for the loss of volume and just assigned of my FS on the MFC as an external controller to kick on the drive and the filter block at the same time. I just used the effects bypass parameter.

Even though i messed with the mix and the Level parameter in the drive block i still couldn't' compensate for the loss in volume (even though it is slight). And yes i know i can use scenes etc to bump up the volume etc..but I wanted it specifically as a stomp box type of situation.

That's what the LEVEL parameter is for. I have no issues except for the Muff type.

That's what the LEVEL parameter is for. I have no issues except for the Muff type.

Man i guess i just felt that the level parameter didn't have that much effect on overall output. It almost seemed like another way to edit the amount of drive. IDK. i'm sure it was error on my part. thanks

Do you guys experience a loss in volume when you kick on your drive block?

Using the AC30TB with the SuperOD and no issues with volume. When I turned the mix down on the drive block, usually to about 65%, I was able to compensate with the level, but I only needed to tweak it up a notch or two.

[Edit]

I use the level knob like I do on my real pedals. I set the volume at or just above the volume when the pedal is bypassed.

Using the AC30TB with the SuperOD and no issues with volume. When I turned the mix down on the drive block, usually to about 65%, I was able to compensate with the level, but I only needed to tweak it up a notch or two.

[Edit]

I use the level knob like I do on my real pedals. I set the volume at or just above the volume when the pedal is bypassed.

+1

I know from experience I need the overall apparent volume to be a little higher when I kick in the drive pedal. If it's dead nuts the same on or off, then it gets lost in a mix.

I'm starting to think the Mix control on the drive block is where the magic lives!

I've spent several hours playing around with values from 30-80%, and it definitely gives a tasty flavor.

I think 40-60% is the sweet spot to me, but depends on the drive model.

Most of my time so far has been with the FAS Boost, but I also tried out the Zen Drive, TS808 Mod and Full OD models. All get some very good, chewy tones!

This has all been with clean-ish amps. Tonight was the Deluxe Verb Normal with Input Trim on about .750 and Drive on about 5... EQ to taste.

Damn... Try it out for yourself!
I remember Cliff in an old thread saying that it was a characteristic of real drive pedals that the mix of clean/driven signal varies depending on the type

Do you guys experience a loss in volume when you kick on your drive block? It may be dependent on the settings of the amp or what type of amp, but I was checking the VU meter and using my ears and there was definitely a loss of volume when i turned it on. That was a no go for me. I tend to think that the dirtier your tone the more likely it could have the potential to get loss in the mix. I assinged a 1.5 Db filter after the amp block to make up for the loss of volume and just assigned of my FS on the MFC as an external controller to kick on the drive and the filter block at the same time. I just used the effects bypass parameter.

Even though i messed with the mix and the Level parameter in the drive block i still couldn't' compensate for the loss in volume (even though it is slight). And yes i know i can use scenes etc to bump up the volume etc..but I wanted it specifically as a stomp box type of situation.

My amp was the 59 Bassguy with drive about 3-4 and input gain at 1. I do believe that the lower the gain on the amp then the drive will have a more drastic effect on the signal and volume.
This happened to me too a couple times and it turned out it was too much gain, if you send a distorted and high signal into an already distorted amp it oversaturates and it's kinda farting, giving the impression of a lower volume. Try to reduce the drive block gain or amp input level

The mix value is one of the first things I set. I always set it at 50%. and then tweak it from there. I usually set delays in the 10 to 15% range.

Back
Top Bottom