Drive Block into High Gain amps

indeloon85

Inspired
I probably should have asked this a month or two ago when the drive blocks were updated, but ever since then, when putting a drive block (like the TS808) in front of an amp like a rectifier to do that typical 0-gain, 10-level type setup going into the amp, it seems to react unlike my OD808 in front of an amp. It seems to almost change the whole character (as it should somewhat) to a "warbly" sounding tone? Maybe "warbly" isn't the best terminology since it may make u think of a rotary block, but it kinda gets "garbled" up.
Keep in mind, that in running this setup, I usually have my amp's input drive about 25% lower than what it would be at without the drive block. The drive blocks all sound amazing when just running them normally, but just driving the level out into an amp seems to lose the definition as it normally wouldn't. Am I the only one noticing this?

Recording so we can hear what you are trying to describe? Preset so we can load it and see if we get the same thing?

I think I know what you mean... I've been tweaking the recto now on FW18 which I haven't used for a while, and my T808 Mod settings were Drive:2, Tone:10, Level:7. If I didn't turn the 'cut' on the amp block on, there was something strange going on in the bottom end, kind of garbled, like you say. Almost like I had some sort of pitch shifter or synth effect on and it wasn't tracking right in the bottom end.

When I turned the amp 'cut' on, everything sounded normal again though, so I haven't thought much of it.

I added a T808 Mod in front of some other amps with the usual settings, and there was a similar effect, though less pronounced since the other models didn't have as much bottom end as the recto.

I haven't used the T808 much since FW16, so I don't know if this is new as of FW18b, or if its just something I'm only now noticing. Too lazy to roll back to 17.04 to check though.

Try switching out the 808mod for the regular 808od. The 808mod has a lot more lows than the regular 808 when cranked. Just a thought.

Great advise. Btw, love the avatar. Love me some Pliny the Elder. You try the Younger yet?

Is it still available?
I'm gonna be in SFO all day on the 22nd. Won't be able to make it up to Santa Rosa though. Can you even buy it in store? Oh well, I have six hopslams and four hop jujus at home to satisfy my cravings.
Cheers!
Btw I like your avatar. \m/

Is it still available?
I'm gonna be in SFO all day on the 22nd. Won't be able to make it up to Santa Rosa though. Can you even buy it in store? Oh well, I have six hopslams and four hop jujus at home to satisfy my cravings.
Cheers!
Btw I like your avatar. \m/

For Younger you may get lucky and find someone that has a keg left. Only on tap though. I miss Hopslam. Use to trade for it a few years ago but my buddy moved so not more for me.

Try switching out the 808mod for the regular 808od. The 808mod has a lot more lows than the regular 808 when cranked. Just a thought.

Has a lot more fizz in it. Or highs, however you want to think about it......

I stand enlightened. It does have more lows, or maybe less highs, or perhaps both. Whatever, it's a lot smoother than the 808. Easy to just back off some lows or gain, and keep the character.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom