Drive block as clean tone?

SacredGroove

Inspired
I recently got a Synergy Syn-2 modular rack and a FX8 MKII to use in 4CM. The clean tone I'm getting from the T/DLX module is pretty good on the blue channel but, the red channel is not working for me. I'd like to get another gain-y module to replace it but, only if it's possible to achieve a good clean tone from the FX8 by itself.

So, has anyone been able to achieve a clean tone from the FX8 by way of a Drive block? Perhaps Compressor and/or EQ block(s)?

Thanks!

I finally got this rig running last night and played for a good while. It sounded good, however, I don't think I have it cabled correctly for what I'd like to do, as far as my initial post of using the FX8 as a clean tone.

Current setup:
Guitar-->FX8 IN
FX8 Out 1 (Pre)-->SYN2 IN
SYN2 FX Send-->FX8 In 2 (Post)
FX8 Out 2 (Post)-->SYN2 FX Return
SYN2 out(s)-->Power amp IN

I think, in order to accomplish a clean tone, via FX8 and bypass the SYN2, I would have to connect the FX8 Post 2 Out to the power amp directly. Would this work?

Guitar-->FX8 IN
FX8 Out 1 (Pre)-->SYN2 IN
SYN2 FX Send-->FX8 In 2 (Post)
FX8 Out 2 (Post)-->Power amp IN

This setup assumes I can bypass the SYN2 within the FX8 which I am not sure is possible yet. I'm still digging through the manuals for both units. I'm at work right now and can't access my gear, at the moment so, I'm just trying to sort it out in my head by the time I get home today...LOL

You can't bypass the PRE->POST connection in the FX8. You'd need an Axe-Fx III, FM3 or something with a more advanced grid design for this.
Thanks for the info. I have an Axe III but, was really hoping to use the FX8 for this rig. I'll just have to rethink my clean channel options.

Perhaps, an additional loop switcher would solve this like a GCX? That may be overkill though.

Back
Top Bottom