Drinking at gigs?

I don't drink often anymore, but I'll occasionally have a shot or a cocktail after the gig. The other members in the band may occasionally have something to drink during the gig. It's easy to tell when they've gone over their limits, though. It shows up in their playing.

Back in the '80s when I was playing 6 nights a week, I never drank onstage. If someone bought the band a round of shots, I'd set mine on my amp and wait until the show was over to drink it (or them). But every break we'd all go out to my van to smoke. It looked like a Cheech and Chong movie every time we'd open the van door to go back into the club. :rolleyes:

I never drink at a gig. Heroin only.

I had to quit heroin. It got in the way of my crack cocaine habit.

Occasionally, but I usually have an hour drive home from my gigs.. so mostly water.
That said. .I don't care if folks drink or do whatever (they are supposed to be adults) UNTIL it affects their performance on stage.
Obviously, if someone is having a one-off rip, we make sure they get home OK.

Well I got through my 1st gig without drinking(sans a fan that bought us all 1 fruity shot that tasted like nothing). Played better and felt great the next day. I've stayed off alcohol for 2 weeks now and literally NEVER felt better. I also stopped my nightly weed toke and that has helped with mental clarity and eating less.

I am a bodybuilder and power lifter and I watch my diet and train hard and heavy. But the weed at night for past 7 years straight was causing me to eat more and while not fat, I have slimmed down drastically and have more visible abs now. Also I believe I had a fatty liver from drinking too much every day and weekends especially. Now my liver feels reduced in size and my insides feel "less full". I feel literally better than I have in a decade or possibly ever. I'm staying off the drink and weed as I feel too fucking awesome to want to mess it up. I literally feel high on life as corny as that sounds. Mental clarity and I have more patience and do more shit. I don't think my drinking or weed consumption was that crazy from a lot of folks....but regardless it was hindering me.

Alcohol hinders your body from metabolizing fat and synthesizing protein....I've been increasing muscle size and fat loss pretty steady now and can see the improvements in the body. I've stopped drinking for 5-6 days before, but never long enough to feel/see the effects. Just relaying my story to anyone whom cares or is in same boat.

Wow, indeed you're greatly coming back from a longer distance I ever imagined. Sure it's the best thing you could do to cool down on consumption. Often confronted with "consuming" comusicians experience learned that working spirit, inspiration and musical quality are better off without any kind of medicine. Still all your past contributions to this forum have been greatly appreciated and good value. Keep on rocking this way up Tremonti and many thanks for your openness sharing this; few guys would have this honesty. Thumbs up !! Sorry for having responded a bit out of the goal of your first post; in real life I quite take care; still like to have a honest quantity of beer from time to time during the weekend but never ever smoked weed again for over 30 years already; I just never really liked the effect even if I do appreciate the smell a bit. Not easy to say "no" at a regular frequency for over thirty years, but people end up to accept it as long as you don't judge them in the same time.
Cheers !

I literally feel high on life as corny as that sounds. Mental clarity and I have more patience and do more shit. I don't think my drinking or weed consumption was that crazy from a lot of folks....but regardless it was hindering me.

Doesn't sound corny at all, and I can relate. Ive been on a "program" for a couple of months now that has been transformative despite it's simplicity. The results are just as you describe, mental clarity, huge energy increase, rarely get angry, laser focus etc... all things I struggled with previously. There's so much new and exciting research on brain function out there now that, when put to use, can change everything about us including physically. Couldn't agree more on the weed food correlation, I really only smoke when practicing or playing but I try and lay out healthy snacks ahead of time.

This:

If you can handle a few beers then there's nothing wrong with it IMO. Getting drunk for a gig however is impolite to the people who paid to come see you. Then again... many rock stars say that they're musical ability peaked when they were on drugs so who am I to say anything really. :D

Sure it's irrespectful thoug (fake ?) "rock'n roll" to get on stage or to rehearse drugged.
OTOH It appears that many of those who continued peaking on drugs of any kind unfortunately are not there anymore to confirm; many of those who stopped or calmed down early enough are still peaking musically speaking, or at least alive. Not there to judge also; but seems quite natural I guess.

Doesn't sound corny at all, and I can relate. Ive been on a "program" for a couple of months now that has been transformative despite it's simplicity. The results are just as you describe, mental clarity, huge energy increase, rarely get angry, laser focus etc... all things I struggled with previously. There's so much new and exciting research on brain function out there now that, when put to use, can change everything about us including physically. Couldn't agree more on the weed food correlation, I really only smoke when practicing or playing but I try and lay out healthy snacks ahead of time.
Have more or less this problem with sugar (real sugar, not the other one ). Stop eating bad food and just some physical activity - not sport; I despise it as a yuppie kind of thing nowadays - are quite refreshing in that regard. No comment on the physical activity...any will do ; this is bluff...

I quit drinking 10 years ago, after I came to live in Thailand. Not even a beer.

When I started practicing meditation with the Thai forest monks, I became more aware of the movements of the mind and the conditions of the body. Then I found the consequences of drinking so disgusting, even in a small quantity, that I've never drink alcohol again.

We don’t drink before a show, but we all take a shot of tequila during the encore break to honor and appreciate the show. The best part is that you can still play well for the last few songs and you walk off the stage not critiquing every little thing that wasn’t perfect and still allowing yourself to be human in a moment.

If it effects your playing...maybe back it off a touch. But if not, enjoy the ritual and comraderie with your band. If you guys are having a good time, so will your audience.

Back
Top Bottom