Drilling hole for pots larger??? Help

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Hello all

I have a project guitar that I'm trying to put new pots in. But the holes are too small for cts. So my question is what type if drill bit do I use to drill out the hole larger without chewing up the finish.
It's an Es-335 style so I have to drill from the face of the guitar.
Thanks

i don't think your problem will be the drill bit but your going to try to drill this by hand. If you had a drill press i would tell you to put some masking tape over the hole and go slow but with a hand drill it might be a little tricky.

Just use a reamer by hand or even some sandpaper on a dowel rod.
The difference between metric and US size pot holes isn't that big.
Better tot take the time and go slow.

If it won't fit, just spit on the shaft and push a lil harder and it will fit :p

Seriously though, I'd be cautious about how you do it. Slow is the key because a drill bit can really screw it up if you go too fast.

It was a Chinese cheap ass guitar. Had really small garbage pots in it. It's not really close at all as far as holes sizes. It definitely won't fit if try and squeeze it.

I recently did this on a solid body guitar. I wouldn't trust myself with a drill. I got a small piece of sandpaper and wrapped it around a socket from a socket wrench set. It was a small one shaped like this:

gedore-6137970-d-19-1-1-8af-socket-1-2-1-1-8.jpg

The small end of the socket fit in the existing hole, but the large end did not. I put the small end in the hole and I twisted and rotated the socket by hand, rubbing it against the edge of the hole. It took maybe 5-10 minutes to enlarge the hole to the right size. And it looked really good too once I was done with no scratches or breaks in the finish.

To do 4 holes will take some time, but it's a pretty safe way to do it I would think.

I do this a lot for my customers. Cover the holes with masking tape which prevents chipping & drill with an electric or cordless drill. Make sure the speed is not too slow or too fast. Make sure Gtr is secured to table and leveled. Take care to go in straight with the bit. DON'T LAY THE BIT ON THE HOLE AND DRILL! With a steady hand get in real close and with the bit spinning at med high speed drill the hole just to break thru and without slowing or stopping the speed pull out the bit.

I like to use a Dremel tool with a small 1/4" 120 grit sanding drum works like a charm, slow speed making circles as you go until the hole is the desired size. The drill bit deal can be tricky if your not used to drilling through thin wood, it can tear out the wood around the hole before you can blink if your not careful.

Back
Top Bottom