"Dream Tones" ML Artist Pack | Based on all John Petrucci's guitar tones

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Learn more: www.ml-sound-lab.com

As if it wasn't clear already I'm a huge fan of JP. Not only that but this has got to be the most requested pack throughout all the years and it was requested again multiple times in the 2019 survey so I present to you "DREAM TONES" based on John Petrucci's guitar tones throughout his career not only from Dream Theater but also both Liquid Tension Experiment albums and a Recto and Mark tone from his solo album Suspended Animation. With 8 scenes and 18 presets we end up with 144 different guitar sounds!!

Here's a run-through and explanation of what the pack is all about:

Here's a video showing how easy it is to install this pack:

The pack is compatible with Axe-Fx III, Axe-Fx II (all versions) and the AX8 which will have a separate clean preset because of CPU limitations.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Another clip! My good friend Ermin just released Eurobass II and while making a clip with it I was working no this pack so I used the "Train Of Thought" guitar tone for this clip and no post processing so they're mix ready:

Hi Mikko.
Sounds good and I'm considering buying this from you :)
One question though: I see the price is including Tax and I live in Norway not in the EU.
I wonder if you are VAT-registered in Norway? If not you should not charge VAT from purchases made from Norway.

Per

Hi Mikko.
Sounds good and I'm considering buying this from you :)
One question though: I see the price is including Tax and I live in Norway not in the EU.
I wonder if you are VAT-registered in Norway? If not you should not charge VAT from purchases made from Norway.

Per
Hey! Happy to hear that you're interested in the pack. VAT doesn't affect the price for customers so no need to worry about that. :)

Hi @ML SOUND LAB Mikko! I purchased this pack last night. Very well done sir! You are to be applauded for your work. I also purchased your Zilla Cab Pack on the Easter promotion and am very satisfied with it as well. Keep up the great work! Much appreciated!

Bought the pack. It seems like for the lead scene (scene 2) in each preset, has the same delay setting. Maybe I am wrong but I would think there would be some different delay settings for each of the albums. Only other thing is I wish the JP2C was used for the latest tones. Plays good other than that.

Bought the pack. It seems like for the lead scene (scene 2) in each preset, has the same delay setting. Maybe I am wrong but I would think there would be some different delay settings for each of the albums. Only other thing is I wish the JP2C was used for the latest tones. Plays good other than that.
Hey! There's a short and long delay that are the roundabouts for "usual" JP delays. The effects stay the same for all presets. Not all albums have phaser on them but you can get some very cool JP sounds that maybe didn't even exist before. Most of those effects settings are hunted down from rig runthroughs and old pictures where you'll see what John is actually using. :) The scenes are set to have both of these delays (scene 2 is short, scene 3 is long and also an auto-wah settings which can be bypassed) but obviously they're easy to customize. Just turn one of the delays to bypass and the other one on. :) Those are the millisecond lengths that I usually hear JP use but I know in the studio at least for the latest album they used delays in post processing that are tied to the bpm for the songs so it's a bit different. H-Delay by Waves is what they used. :)

Axe-FX II XL+ on Ares 1.03... When importing the presets the cab settings are not imported correctly. None of the presets are set to point to the user slots referenced, but instead are set to seemingly random cabs. For example, I&W preset is set to F182 (mic: none). SFAM imports pointing to U0004 (mic: none). And so on...

Anyone else have this issue? Sure, I can point the cabs to the correct IR slots, but I'm wondering what other settings may be screwed up within the cab block. Are all IRs supposed to be set to mic none? Are there any other parameters in the cab block that should be different than default when using these custom Dream Tone cabs???

Update to previous post:

I figured I'd give FracTool a spin and see what it shows for the Dream Tone presets. It turns out that FracTool shows the correct cab slot referencing user slots 50-67. So it would appear the presets are not corrupt in any way but instead my XL+ on Ares isn't importing the presets correctly.

Going one step further, if I open with FracTool and resave the preset as XL+ format, the new FracTool-generated preset does import correctly. So I'm wondering if this is an Ares issue or if the presets were not designed for the XL+ platform. (I don't see any special directory in the preset download for II/XL/XL+... there are only folders for the AX8, II, and III)

At this point I think I'm gonna roll back to Quantum and see if they import correctly then.

It would still be comforting to know if any other users on XL/XL+ Ares can replicate this or not. Thanks.

Hey! That's strange as those presets were made on Axe2 Ares but thank you for letting me know. Will definitely look into fixing this!

EDIT: Update - can't seem to duplicate this problem you're having. I guess this is the downside of having many firmware updates. I will continue working on a way to get these presets as unproblematic as possible but for anyone who's experiencing problems, Fractool should sort most of them out.

Last edited:
For everyone who's still thinking about getting this pack - THE INTRODUCTIONAL 20% OFF SALE RUNS OUT ON WEDNESDAY. So if you're still interested in this pack now would be a good time to take advantage of the sale.

PS. If you have other artists you'd like to see me do in future please comment below. :)

Back
Top Bottom