AFIII Dream Theater 'The Big Medley' - Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs, Genesis

Spongy

I decided to do a cover of one of my favorite medleys of all-time, Dream Theater's 'The Big Medley'. This song is very nostalgic for me growing up and I couldn't find a great full video version of it anywhere surprisingly. This is track 5 off the 1995 EP release, 'A Change of Seasons' and it is made up of pieces from the following songs:
  1. In the Flesh - Pink Floyd
  2. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
  3. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  4. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey
  5. Cruise Control - Dixie Dregs
  6. Turn It On Again - Genesis
So AxeFx 3 wise, I didn't have a backing track without the guitar unfortunately so I had to mix my guitars pretty loud. It's just one AxeFx3 (Mark II) preset throughout the song...the 'Crunch Me Under' preset from the Petrucci Rig. This is based on a Mesa Mark IIC+ and I only did some minor tweaks to try to get more bite out of the guitar because John recorded the song using his Ibanez JPM model. I have a very early Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci model from around 2000 (which I use in the video) and I find it to be a little less bright than the Ibanez so I tried to dial that in. Then I added some 2290 delay at 500ms, 10% feedback, and 7% mix. Just enough to give it a little character and ambience when playing along. I hope you enjoy it as it was a lot of fun to record. Happy New Year to you all!

I decided to do a cover of one of my favorite medleys of all-time, Dream Theater's 'The Big Medley'. This song is very nostalgic for me growing up and I couldn't find a great full video version of it anywhere surprisingly. This is track 5 off the 1995 EP release, 'A Change of Seasons' and it is made up of pieces from the following songs:
  1. In the Flesh - Pink Floyd
  2. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
  3. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  4. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey
  5. Cruise Control - Dixie Dregs
  6. Turn It On Again - Genesis
So AxeFx 3 wise, I didn't have a backing track without the guitar unfortunately so I had to mix my guitars pretty loud. It's just one AxeFx3 (Mark II) preset throughout the song...the 'Crunch Me Under' preset from the Petrucci Rig. This is based on a Mesa Mark IIC+ and I only did some minor tweaks to try to get more bite out of the guitar because John recorded the song using his Ibanez JPM model. I have a very early Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci model from around 2000 (which I use in the video) and I find it to be a little less bright than the Ibanez so I tried to dial that in. Then I added some 2290 delay at 500ms, 10% feedback, and 7% mix. Just enough to give it a little character and ambience when playing along. I hope you enjoy it as it was a lot of fun to record. Happy New Year to you all!

Dude that was awesome great job with an awesome medley of awesomeness....

Excellent job... Loved the Zeppelin covers they also did on " A Change of Seasons " Can't believe that album is 26 yrs old already :flushed:
I know, right!!! Seems like just yesterday I was in high school listening to this in my bedroom. 26 years old...where has time gone....

Nicely done! Played that disc non-stop when it came out and never got tired of it. Well played and great tones. I just feel a lot older since you posted how long it's been released. I was 25 when it came out.:grimacing:

Back
Top Bottom