AFIII Dream Theater Pull Me Under solo - 5 different guitars

God, they're all so surprisingly close to each other. I can't imagine playing that on my LP Custom though! Maybe, maybe I hear just a tad bit more clarity during the inversions near the end of the solo, on the 5 & 4 strings, from the Majesty...? I should've listened to the video w/o watching.
And that JP90 is gorGEOUS!!

God, they're all so surprisingly close to each other. I can't imagine playing that on my LP Custom though! Maybe, maybe I hear just a tad bit more clarity during the inversions near the end of the solo, on the 5 & 4 strings, from the Majesty...? I should've listened to the video w/o watching.
And that JP90 is gorGEOUS!!
I think, if anything, I'm responsible for some of the tonal disparities with the way I rocked the wah somewhat differently in the various takes. But that wah really compresses each of them to where they become quite similar sounding. :)

Interesting. The only one that I thought sounded different was the purple nebula. It sounded kind of strange, almost like you had the piezo turned on as well. You're obviously not a JP fan (sarcasm alert).
I think it was my sub-par wah pedal movements during that take. :). But it has hotter pickups than some of those other guitars too.

Maybe a little more clarity with the Suhr. But they could all be the same take and my eyes are just liking that guitar better.

The wah pedal definitely makes it a bit trickier to really hear the differences, but there's something about the Majesty that has a bit clearer tone to it. Maybe it's the wah it's interacting with the wah where I'm hearing it, but I just skipped to the very first 5 notes of the solo for each guitar after watching it and still felt that way. The other EB JP had more midrange and not as sharp on the high end, the JPM90 seemed a bit thinner than the others. I was surprised how similar the LP sounded, though!

You sure the experiment wasn't really about showing off your stellar
guitar collection??? :)
I'm super lucky to have these axes. :) I was going to borrow a children's guitar for 1 example. I think that would have been interesting to see what it sounded like against these others.
Maybe a little more clarity with the Suhr. But they could all be the same take and my eyes are just liking that guitar better.
Absolutely. So many have commented about the clarity of the Suhr.
Nice! I love doing experiments like this.
It was good fun, although I probably should've demoed the guitars without the wah on too to hear the tonal differences.
The wah pedal definitely makes it a bit trickier to really hear the differences, but there's something about the Majesty that has a bit clearer tone to it. Maybe it's the wah it's interacting with the wah where I'm hearing it, but I just skipped to the very first 5 notes of the solo for each guitar after watching it and still felt that way. The other EB JP had more midrange and not as sharp on the high end, the JPM90 seemed a bit thinner than the others. I was surprised how similar the LP sounded, though!
I think the Majesty's pickups are the hottest, but I played the wah the weirdest on that take too. :). JPM90 definitely thinner than the others, but I really enjoy that Steve's Special pickup. It's really well balanced.

My fav was the purple majesty. Something about it just seemed more alive. The Suhr was my second pick. Nice job on playing and toanz!

My fav was the purple majesty. Something about it just seemed more alive. The Suhr was my second pick. Nice job on playing and toanz!
Thank you! Not too many chose the Majesty take, but I think that was because how I played the wah. I do think it is a great sounding guitar. The Suhr definitely has some real clarity in its pickups, even through a wah.

The Les Paul does sound great.........looks to be a humbucker as opposed to a P90. If from '74 a T Top maybe? Awesome...

I really liked how the LP sounded but I wonder if that's only because I've been playing my LP quite a bit lately with the Friedman HBE and my ear is fixed on that sound. I really love that combo. But now I need to learn this solo ;).
Great playing and great guitars.
Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom