Dream Theater/Petrucci Fans: This Guitar Tone is Beyond Amazing!!

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I was just listening to Home, and wondered if the low D chord he hits sounds so good, partly because of the bass guitar in the mix. So I thought, maybe there's a guitar stem on YT. There is, and if you're a fan of JP's tones, well, if you haven't heard this, ya need to. ;)
His guitar tone is more than awesome, just massive, in several parts other than that low D chord, but one thing that makes it sound so freakin HUGE, is how tight he double-tracks his parts. And dat Wah Wah! Un.Freaking.Believable!
Just goes to show that a great guitar tone, by itself, can indeed also sound fantastic in the final mix.

Love this tune, and the Live in London Version is killer as well. I think he also runs a Boss OC-3 on it live to fatten it even more if that possible

This is what made me get a Gremlin Sparkle Majesty though I dont tune it to drop D

@TSJMajesty, have you taken the specs off Dunlop’s site for the Petrucci pedal and stored them as a block yet? I did it with both the Cantrell and Petrucci wah’s, Leon’s got a video on how to do it. (And probably has the preset he made the wah in as well) You can definitely get that deep ass wah sound with it.

On the album, Jordan’s also got this going on-

Love this tune, and the Live in London Version is killer as well. I think he also runs a Boss OC-3 on it live to fatten it even more if that possible

This is what made me get a Gremlin Sparkle Majesty though I dont tune it to drop D

I recall seeing Mark Tremonti doing something similar with the Micro POG. Dialing in a little of
the octave down to fatten up his tone for solos.

I was just listening to Home, and wondered if the low D chord he hits sounds so good, partly because of the bass guitar in the mix. So I thought, maybe there's a guitar stem on YT. There is, and if you're a fan of JP's tones, well, if you haven't heard this, ya need to. ;)
His guitar tone is more than awesome, just massive, in several parts other than that low D chord, but one thing that makes it sound so freakin HUGE, is how tight he double-tracks his parts. And dat Wah Wah! Un.Freaking.Believable!
Just goes to show that a great guitar tone, by itself, can indeed also sound fantastic in the final mix.

Sounds like an Envelope Filter mixed in with the Wah. There are similar Wah tones on their new album, too.

JP is a god of thicc guitar tones. When i first saw them live that's what hit me first was his massive wall of sound. Just rich lush thickness. Like Will Ferrell in Eastbound & Down said 'I can feel it down in my plums.'

@TSJMajesty, have you taken the specs off Dunlop’s site for the Petrucci pedal and stored them as a block yet? I did it with both the Cantrell and Petrucci wah’s, Leon’s got a video on how to do it. (And probably has the preset he made the wah in as well) You can definitely get that deep ass wah sound with it.
Good to know! Thanks

After hearing that ... I really need to check out DT again - haven't listened to them since Images and Words came out. I think I've been missing something!

If you notice the wha area's guitar tone never changes just the addition of the wha. Saw a Devin Townsend preset where the wha is side chained, makes a huge difference. I wonder if JP uses the mimic in the studio at all or just live? For widening I really like the old 17ms delay on one side trick. Changing the ms time between 12 and 21 can result in some interesting EQ affect I always come back to 17ms.

If you notice the wha area's guitar tone never changes just the addition of the wha. Saw a Devin Townsend preset where the wha is side chained, makes a huge difference. I wonder if JP uses the mimic in the studio at all or just live? For widening I really like the old 17ms delay on one side trick. Changing the ms time between 12 and 21 can result in some interesting EQ affect I always come back to 17ms.

Seems a lot of guys use that trick. I believe that's a Ty Tabor thing, too. I find with the Mix too high
it can sound kind of unnatural. I feel like a little goes a long ways.

Back
Top Bottom