Dream Theater Nostalgia

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
Just thought I’d share a little Dream Theater nostalgia with everyone. I was recently rummaging through a bunch of old crap and found a ticket stub and a few autographs from a Dream Theater concert I went to in Pittsburgh, PA back in 1993. It was at a very intimate venue, a tent to be exact, that only held a little over 150 people. Dream Theater was just ramping up their Images and Words tour and wasn’t even close to as popular as they are today. Most of the band members were actually hanging out at the entrance to the venue, casually talking to people as they entered.

At one point, I ran into my father and Mike Portnoy who were discussing his influences such as Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and the band Yes. I ended up getting to meet and get autographs (no smartphones back in 1993, so no photos) from Mike Portnoy, John Myung and Kevin Moore. However, I didn’t get a chance to meet John Petrucci or James Labrie. According to Mike, James was out for a run while John was in the tour bus warming up. John’s tech was changing strings on John’s Ibanez JPM and gave me the old set of strings which was a cool souvenir.

It was an incredible show and really reinforced the inspiration that the band had already given me for wanting to pick up the electric guitar in the first place.

D662FCC3-DBFD-4F53-B03D-9F9A7537C591.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom