FM3 Dream Theater "Metropolis Pt. 1" - cover using FM3

The_Logod

Hi folks,

super proud of this one - my cover of Dream Theater's wonderful "Metropolis Pt.1" using my new EBMM JP6 and FM3 (recorded over a backing track done by VRA).
Really pleased with this setup / combo as I get exactly the tones I always chased after out of it.

Hope you enjoy - happy about any feedback. Cheers,
Luke

Man, great job! But you knew that already... This is one of many JP songs I work on..., probably never learn it all the way through; I'm going for more "technique-building," using his songs to achieve that.
If you're like me, dissecting one of his songs, especially from this era (Erotomania, e.g.), really shines a light on how talented he is in being able to put together a song like that. Yeah, I'm sure he worked out parts along with the other guys as well, but still. These songs are masterpieces in themselves, imo.

Man, great job! But you knew that already... This is one of many JP songs I work on..., probably never learn it all the way through; I'm going for more "technique-building," using his songs to achieve that.
If you're like me, dissecting one of his songs, especially from this era (Erotomania, e.g.), really shines a light on how talented he is in being able to put together a song like that. Yeah, I'm sure he worked out parts along with the other guys as well, but still. These songs are masterpieces in themselves, imo.
Thanks!
I fully agree. Admittedly, it took me about a year to get it right and it's still not perfect. I love to learn DT songs as they can really further your technique and get you to the next level. JPs playing is really "outside the box" in many ways so after all it's just super fun and rewarding to play once you get it right.

it's just super fun and rewarding to play once you get it right.
I remember when I got the 32nd-note, descending chromatic run up to speed, I was SO happy with myself! I had never really tried to do shit like that, so I had just assumed it wasn't possible for me. Glad I was wrong. Now if I could just get that damn trill up to speed...! But I hate practicing them cuz it's boring! (If you have any tips...?)

I remember when I got the 32nd-note, descending chromatic run up to speed, I was SO happy with myself! I had never really tried to do shit like that, so I had just assumed it wasn't possible for me. Glad I was wrong. Now if I could just get that damn trill up to speed...! But I hate practicing them cuz it's boring! (If you have any tips...?)
Regarding trills - I don't think I focused on this in particular, though I do a lot of warm up exercises that involve HO/PO in all finger combinations, which really strengthen your fingers and their independence which is crucial for trills I'd say.

I just worked out a really nice delay for the clean arpeggio ending part, blended in just a touch of Piezo, using Analog Mono @ 750ms., 1/4 note dot, some chorus, cut my fingernails real short (haha), and OMG does it sound amazing!

Hi folks,

super proud of this one - my cover of Dream Theater's wonderful "Metropolis Pt.1" using my new EBMM JP6 and FM3 (recorded over a backing track done by VRA).
Really pleased with this setup / combo as I get exactly the tones I always chased after out of it.

Luke

Wow! Stellar. I don't think I have learned an entire 5 minute song in its entirety
let alone a 9+ minute one. :)

Great playing. Reminds me how much I miss Portnoy's drumming in DT. I also think
he stole that primary groove from Ratt's "Lay It Down." ;)

Super playing and tone. You should be very happy with the work you’ve done. Petrucci is a master player.

Oh and I really dig the JP6. It’s one signature guitar I wouldn’t mind owning someday.

Hi folks,

Luke

Sounds really good but at the beginning there should be delay but other than that its all good. good job.

Super playing and tone. You should be very happy with the work you’ve done. Petrucci is a master player.

Oh and I really dig the JP6. It’s one signature guitar I wouldn’t mind owning someday.

Thanks, I am very proud to have this down. It's been a lot of work to get it under my fingers.
The JP6 has been my dream guitar even before I started playing about 12ish years ago, and I never thought I'd own one. It's a birthday gift from me to myself and I have to say it was worth the cash and wait (more than 12 months due to Covid). People say it's the most ergonomic and comfortable to play guitar out there and so far I have to agree. It basically disappears and gets out of the way. Plus, it looks killer imho - especially in mystic dream ;)

Sounds really good but at the beginning there should be delay but other than that its all good. good job.
I had to double check after you mentioned that - my preset has a scene with delay timed to the click so I was worried I forgot to switch scenes at the beginning :sweatsmile:. But it's there, albeit tad too subtle I admit.

Back
Top Bottom