FM9 Dream Theater - Lines in the Sand Solo Cover - using Cooper Carter's LITS Live Preset

I loved Derek Sherinian on keys. I can see why JP loves to write songs with Jordan however. And I've often wondered how many DT songs would sound with different players. Like, if say, Marco had gotten the drum gig, or my favorite, Gavin Harrison.

Damn. That 'cover' is maybe better than the original? nah not better but different and I really love it. No disrespect to James L at all but I listen to DT for the musicality aspect mainly. I heard James' solo work is pretty good, I should give it a listen. He shines when he's in the right pocket but who the hell am I to judge. I feel like I'm the fat guy with nachos crumbled all over watching the olympics and dissing the athletes.

Also, this vid took me on a divergent rabbit hole of watching Ron 'bumblefoot' Thal vids. Sweet lord can this guy play!!!

Last edited:
Damn. That 'cover' is maybe better than the original? nah not better but different and I really love it. No disrespect to James L at all but I listen to DT for the musicality aspect mainly. I heard James' solo work is pretty good, I should give it a listen. He shines when he's in the right pocket but who the hell am I to judge. I feel like I'm the fat guy with nachos crumbled all over watching the olympics and dissing the athletes.

Also, this vid took me on a divergent rabbit hole of watching Ron 'bumblefoot' Thal vids. Sweet lord can this guy play!!!

I kind of feel that way, too. And Billy's bass tone in that version is SOOOOOOOO nasty and perfect for the tune.

I almost can't hear it NOT there now. :)

I loved Derek Sherinian on keys. I can see why JP loves to write songs with Jordan however. And I've often wondered how many DT songs would sound with different players. Like, if say, Marco had gotten the drum gig, or my favorite, Gavin Harrison.

This is just my hot take---and probably is off and means nothing. I do think different players
bring different things out of one another. I feel like Jordan reinforces the technical side of John
and DT as a band. He makes them more mathematical, for lack of a better term. I feel similarly
about Mangini.

Derek and Mike are also both super advanced technically, but they have more dynamics and
feel that they brought to DT and pushed John in that way. I also feel like both Mike and Derek
got bored musically in DT and wanted to be more diverse and not stuck playing exclusively in
and for DT. Their musicianship was/is broader and deeper than what can be done in DT and I
feel like their careers reflect that. I am so glad Mike left DT. There have been some killer bands
and great music that would have never happened if he had just stayed in DT and limited himself
to that kind of music.

Winery Dogs and Sons of Apollo are two great projects that I look forward to hearing more music
from in the future. Actually more exciting to me than any new DT music, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom