FM9 Dream Theater - Lines in the Sand Solo Cover - using Cooper Carter's LITS Live Preset

After hearing @Cooper Carter's Lines in the Sand Live preset the other day, I decided to use it to try my hand at the solo in this tune. The preset sounds so good, I just had a blast playing this (it's not perfect). Check out his preset below, all I did was add a wah block (cry baby stock settings).

"Lines in the Sand" Live Preset

Man that is an incredible sound you have dialed in. You’re playing as always is phenomenal. Your videos always make me smile when I watch them great playing. Thanks for sharing another great sounding tune.

Man that is an incredible sound you have dialed in. You’re playing as always is phenomenal. Your videos always make me smile when I watch them great playing. Thanks for sharing another great sounding tune.
Wow thank you @Freds55! Such kind words! This preset is all Cooper, all I did was add the wah block :)
Nice! That and Breaking All Illusions are my 2 favorite JP solos. SO melodic. Try that slide @ 1:03 as a pick scrape with the wah. Really cool sound!
Love that one too, been awhile since I've listened so going back to give it a spin now!

Very good sound.. But the first part has been played by john with a stratocaster.. So if the intent is to replicate exactly that tone you need a strat.

Very good sound.. But the first part has been played by john with a stratocaster.. So if the intent is to replicate exactly that tone you need a strat.
The preset was for the live intro to this song, I just liked it so much I played the solo with it, no intent to replicate anything exactly.

Last edited:
The first part of the solo in the studio version has been played with a strat
I'd never heard that. Dream Theater being my all-around favorite band (even though my love for their music has drastically dropped sans MP), I've read many articles, and watched many videos, so it kind of surprises me to hear that. Even the slide solo JP did on Anna Lee was done on an Ibanez. Are you sure about this? I don't know much about his Ibanez guitars from that time period, but I'd imagine they could cover that tone. He was endorsed by Ibanez by the time Falling Into Infinity was recorded, which is another reason this surprises me.

I'd never heard that. Dream Theater being my all-around favorite band (even though my love for their music has drastically dropped sans MP), I've read many articles, and watched many videos, so it kind of surprises me to hear that. Even the slide solo JP did on Anna Lee was done on an Ibanez. Are you sure about this? I don't know much about his Ibanez guitars from that time period, but I'd imagine they could cover that tone. He was endorsed by Ibanez by the time Falling Into Infinity was recorded, which is another reason this surprises me.
He is correct. I can't remember where I read it, but it did come up in an interview.

He is correct. I can't remember where I read it, but it did come up in an interview.
Yes i do confirm.. And if you listen you can clearly hear a strat sound in the neck position playing the solo part.. And yes he was an Ibanez artist but this does not mean that he or other endorser can t play a different guitar for some parts expecially in the studio.. It s quite common..

Last edited:
Astonishing. Thanks for sharing. Going to give it a try.

Update: Added a second amp block, set bypass mode to mute and as Leon would say "Glorious"

Last edited:
My favorite Petrucci solos are the slow melodic ones. He is capable of such amazing feel and tasteful phrasing
So true. Just look at Peruvian Skies. He does some simple arpeggios, outlining the chords, a quick run, some tasteful bends..., so melodic, and there's hardly anything that even a newb guitarist can't grasp.

So true. Just look at Peruvian Skies. He does some simple arpeggios, outlining the chords, a quick run, some tasteful bends..., so melodic, and there's hardly anything that even a newb guitarist can't grasp.
Totally. Just awesome. I saw Dream Theater on their Black Clouds & Silver Linings tour and I remember just being blown away by the solo in The Count of Tuscany. All those beautiful volume swells and long sustained notes just gave me absolute shivers.

Totally. Just awesome. I saw Dream Theater on their Black Clouds & Silver Linings tour and I remember just being blown away by the solo in The Count of Tuscany. All those beautiful volume swells and long sustained notes just gave me absolute shivers.
I love the ones that have both. Breaking All Illusions ticks all the boxes for me. Especially how he puts the clean arpeggio part in before the solo gets going. I don't have a problem with his shredding, as long as it's mixed in with the melodic playing. Sweeps, blazing 16th-note triplet, 3-note per string runs, bluesy diads, etc..., it's got it all. And all while being mindful of the underlying chords, and creating a song-within-a-song. That's probably the part of his soloing that stands out the most, for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom