Dream Theater - Forsaken w/ Axe Fx II XL (In love with the Quantum Firmware) Patches inlcuded

TheTrooper

Inspired
I want to say "Hi" to the great Fractal Audio community!

This is my first post on the Forum, and I just wanted to share with you my take on Dream Theater's "Forsaken", from the Systematic Chaos album.
I recorded all the tracks with my (fantastic) Axe Fx II XL ( which I used as my audio interface too) and with my Ibanez JBM100.

Hope you guys like it :)

I really like that clean tone (verse 1). Unfortunately I don't have an XL, so I wouldn't be able to use any patch you posted. Can you give the amp and cab settings and anything else that's adding to it? Thanks!

I really like that clean tone (verse 1). Unfortunately I don't have an XL, so I wouldn't be able to use any patch you posted. Can you give the amp and cab settings and anything else that's adding to it? Thanks!
Absolutely; here's and image with amp settings, Cab and delay (EQ was there for some reason, maybe and old preset).
I did a screen of the parameters that I used, everything that is not pictured is "stock".

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Finally I managed how to attach the patches (damn antivirus plug-in)

(I used Recto New Mix and RectoSM57 for the Rhythm preset, but it sounds better, to me at least, with the John Petrucci's V30)

;D

Attachments

• Mark IV Lead.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Mark IV Rhythm.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Forsaken Clean wDelay1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 21
Absolutely; here's and image with amp settings, Cab and delay (EQ was there for some reason, maybe and old preset).
I did a screen of the parameters that I used, everything that is not pictured is "stock".
Thanks for doing this! I hate to say it but the resolution is so low I can't read anything. I zoomed in but the picture is too pixellated.

Thanks for doing this! I hate to say it but the resolution is so low I can't read anything. I zoomed in but the picture is too pixellated.
Yep, my bad, I'm a little stupid sometimes :p
Here's a decent photo; it's still pizelated, but definetly readable.

Being totally honest, I don't really like the clean sound I've used (by itself). I used the HiCut at 6600, but I think you could try it at 9000-9500, definelty more open.
The delay is nothing special, (375ms) one single repeat and slow panning (have no clue on how to achieve that).

Attachments

• Immagine2.png
    Immagine2.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 17
TheTrooper was kind enough to e-mail the settings to me. I'm sharing them for anyone else who might have had difficulty reading the image. :)

Compresso Block:
Type: Studio Compressor
Threshold: -49.9
Ratio: 3.235
Knee: Soft
Attack: 10.01ms
Release: 10.00ms (basically untouched)
Makeup and Auto: ON
Detect: Peak
Filter: 499.5Hz
Look Ahead: 0.000
Level: 2.0db

Drive Block:
Type: SDD Preamp
Drive: 2.00
Tone: 5.00
Level: 5.50

AMP
USA Clean
Input drive: 4
Bass: 4
Mid: 4.5
Treb: 7.5
Presence: 5.5
Master: 5

CAB
Recto New Mix
LowCut: 85.5Hz
HighCut: 6675Hz
Hi-Res

MultiDelay:
Type: Quad Tap
Delays time: 375ms (all four of them) Everything else untouched
Mix: 100% (Parallel, so Put Bypass on Mute Out)
Input gain: 20%
EQ to taste

Hey dude! An awesome first post. I have two questions: 1) Opinions on the JBM? 2) Where did you get the stems for this song?!?!?! I've been looking everywhere for those tracks!

TheTrooper was kind enough to e-mail the settings to me. I'm sharing them for anyone else who might have had difficulty reading the image. :)

Compresso Block:
Type: Studio Compressor
Threshold: -49.9
Ratio: 3.235
Knee: Soft
Attack: 10.01ms
Release: 10.00ms (basically untouched)
Makeup and Auto: ON
Detect: Peak
Filter: 499.5Hz
Look Ahead: 0.000
Level: 2.0db

Drive Block:
Type: SDD Preamp
Drive: 2.00
Tone: 5.00
Level: 5.50

AMP
USA Clean
Input drive: 4
Bass: 4
Mid: 4.5
Treb: 7.5
Presence: 5.5
Master: 5

CAB
Recto New Mix
LowCut: 85.5Hz
HighCut: 6675Hz
Hi-Res

MultiDelay:
Type: Quad Tap
Delays time: 375ms (all four of them) Everything else untouched
Mix: 100% (Parallel, so Put Bypass on Mute Out)
Input gain: 20%
EQ to taste
Thank You very much dude! I thought of writing the settings too but you were faster :D

Hey dude! An awesome first post. I have two questions: 1) Opinions on the JBM? 2) Where did you get the stems for this song?!?!?! I've been looking everywhere for those tracks!
Hi Mikko, Thank you for the kind words.
Funny is, I recorded the song so I could attach it to a review I made on the JBM (I posted it on SS.org and Jemsite), but I tought: " Well, I'm on the Fractal Forum, not sure somebody wants to read my review on the guitar, let's just post the song and talk about the settings and stuff" :)

The JBM is just amazing. Great sound, great playablity, incredible tuning stability.
I didn't get the stems for the song, I just downloaded the backing track with no guitars and learned the parts ( They made the official tabs for, like, almost every album, from WDADU to Systematic Chaos, and even a Change of Seasons, which was a Japan-only release I think......Not sure were I downloaded that stuff....*cough*..Torrent....*cough**cough* ;)

BTW, I'm going to get your new release of the Marshall Cabs; I was stoked when I heard them.

Mikko,

There aren't stems for SC that I know of, but I've come across quite a few guitar-free backing tracks using the original tracks. They did a 5.1 release for this album that has decent separation of the instruments. People have cross-phased these tracks with the stereo mix to get pretty decent backing tracks. I'll check if I have any of these left on my computer from back in the day when I get home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom