Dream Theater Drummer documentary

Finding band members through auditions is exhausting and frustrating. What's fun watching those is that they are bringing in known entities and are more looking for gel and personality as much as ability. On the local scale, you don't have a clue what you are getting on -any- level.
SO TRUE Scott!! it's a first class PITA at the local level. For the 3rd time in 10 months, I'm looking for a front person. Male or female. I do the "phone screen" and try to filter out the "wannabees" up front, so we don't waste our time - even tho' I tell them I don't want to waste theirs. If they can't communicate via phone then they are out. If they don't have vids or mp3's (at a minimum) they are out- as any self-respecting singer ALWAYS records themselves. I've had more "idol style" auditions than I can shake a stick ate - despite the weeding process. I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to to get into a decent band. Mp3 samples that are not them, people on the phone screen are not the same ones that show up at the audition, misrepresentation all round. Folks who have obviously never sung with a band - you can tell from the way they hold/use a mic or stand 18" from the mic stand at stage volumes and wonder why they can't be heard or there's feedback a-happenin' - despite "many yrs experience fronting". It's a freakin' horror movie!!

Then factor - that even IF they have the skills, do they gel with the band. Is there that "chemistry" working? What's their work ethic, objectives, personality, yada, yada. It's an UGLY process.

At least DT doesn't have to worry about skill.. that's a given.

I also thought Minneman was pretty awesome, very precise with the bass drum, recognizable, technically masterful. Mangini, while he's an awesome drummer, just seems way too excited about the whole thing.

But if there's one drummer I'd like to see in DT, that'd be Tomas Haake. That guy is just insane, and he could dish out some time signatures and polyrhythms _other_ band members wouldn't be able to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, after this, he could probably pay the entire DT repertoire with one hand and one foot: YouTube - Meshuggah's "BLEED" - TOMAS HAAKE DRUM CAM

I actually saw an interview with TH where he said it took him I think about 5 or 6 months of practice before he was able to play Bleed the entire way through. That impressed me - the fact that an established guy, recognized as a very talented musician in his genre, is continually pushing himself. Can't wait to here what they do with the next album.

KG

I watched it - and found it very cool. Very fun to watch and it was really hard for them to chose 'wrong' here - these are some of the best in the drum world.

So I know who is in. :D

I thought it was cool of them to document it; and it was hard watching the 'sorry....' videos they *did* show, let alone imagine the ones they did *not* show. I've been on all sides of this equation personally in my little world - auditioning to be in bands, holding auditions for bands I was in and both getting "Yes! You are in!"; "Sorry,...." and making both those sorts of phone calls from the band position too. I can empathize with all the sides of the whole ordeal; which added to the compelling nature of watching these videos.

For the record, I find this sort of thing far more interesting and fan friendly than anything 'reality' TV has ever offered or could ever offer. :D

They have me interested enough to probably buy the next album once it comes out now and I haven't bought a DT album in years...

Last edited:
That was a fun series to watch. Anyone else notice the labels on the mixing board; "Jordan, Fractal,..."

Bahhhh! I made through about 8 minutes of it then had to quit before I lost all respect for them. It started out as a promising “documentary” then suddenly turned into an episode of “American Idol-DT Edition”. So I’ll just read about the outcome here on the ole forum.

For the record, I find this sort of thing far more interesting and fan friendly than anything 'reality' TV has ever offered or could ever offer. :D

I totally agree with that. I found the series to be very interesting and well done.

I'll admit- I've watched one episode of Jersey Shore in my life... and I actually felt a little dumber after watching it.

Minneman was a complete no-brainer really. Kinda disappointed they did not pick him. That said, Mangini is twice the drummer Portnoy was, with 1/10th the ego. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mangini is the safe choice, and I don't blame them for it--but as a fan I believe they needed someone to shake things up. I would have picked Minneman.

Word is they did pick Marco but he wouldn't commit. I'm pretty sure you'd rather him go ahead and do that album with Guthrie and Beller anyway..............right?

Word is they did pick Marco but he wouldn't commit.

I doubt it, because the "word" could be either from DT themselves (who would certainly not want to piss off their new drummer by saying they first picked someone else) or from Marco (who would not want to piss off both Mangini _and_ DT).

My money is on Mangini. That guy deserves a permanent gig like that. (Hard Worker and Talented)
He would definately appreciate it more than Portnoy. I wish they would bring back the original Keyboard player, Kevin Moore. The songs havent been the same since he left.
I feel the same way about DT, Kevin Moore keyboard playing and song writing really had huge impact on earlier DT. Rudess is a great technical player but doesn't have the magic that Kevin has as a player and songwriter.

Back
Top Bottom