Dream Theater - About To Crash (Reprise) Cover

You call that an attempt? That was an complete slaughter - You made that song your bitch! :lol Absolutely fantastic playing and tone. My only complaint is that I wish the the track wasn't playing quite as loud. While it was a little hard at times to differentiate how much of what I was hearing was actually you and not Petrucci, I'm familiar enough with that song that I could tell that your playing was the more prominent of the two. There were several parts that stood out to me, parts I hadn't really noticed before, because they are mixed more into the background on the album. Here they were right in the forefront and jumped out at my ears, so obviously that was your guitar I was hearing.

This is one of Petrucci's very best tones (second only to this tone on "Awake" imho). Pure Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ and so much better than the tones he is getting these days (again, imho) Was this a Tone-Match? It sounded pretty spot-on to me. Either way, I would love to have the patch if possible (assuming you're not using an Axe-Fx XL). Thanks.

Excellent job. Agree with Shredi on JP's tone... much prefer the IIC+ tone (coupled with his Ibanez or first-gen Music Man models). You definitely nailed it here. Are you playing a JPMM? It sort of looks like one without matching headstock or shield inlays.

Thanks!

You call that an attempt? That was an complete slaughter - You made that song your bitch! :lol Absolutely fantastic playing and tone. My only complaint is that I wish the the track wasn't playing quite as loud. While it was a little hard at times to differentiate how much of what I was hearing was actually you and not Petrucci, I'm familiar enough with that song that I could tell that your playing was the more prominent of the two. There were several parts that stood out to me, parts I hadn't really noticed before, because they are mixed more into the background on the album. Here they were right in the forefront and jumped out at my ears, so obviously that was your guitar I was hearing.

This is one of Petrucci's very best tones (second only to this tone on "Awake" imho). Pure Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ and so much better than the tones he is getting these days (again, imho) Was this a Tone-Match? It sounded pretty spot-on to me. Either way, I would love to have the patch if possible (assuming you're not using an Axe-Fx XL). Thanks.

I tried to set the original low enough drown out the guitar track and still loud enough to hear the other instruments, but it's hard to find the perfect spot ;) I didn't use a TM-block, I started dialing by ear, then I did a tone match with Ozon 5. It showed a few prominent freqs that were off, so I just cut/boosted them with a PEQ. I also used a MBC as I feel it's the only way to get that thumping low end.

Thanks for listening!

Back
Top Bottom