Hyper Planet

Power User
Hey folks today I just recorded this great solo from DREAM THEATER latest album ''The Astonishing'' as you can see there's just me, the guitar and metronome :), not to say I couldn't find a cover version of this guitar solo on YT with just guitar, guitar + Metronome or without having the original music on the background
I think the best way of covering is playing over original music without the original guitar parts solo, rhythms ... etc, or playing with just metronome, Oh I just found a video the man himself is playing his guitar solo with no music on the background ;)

Like always I used my only guitar an Ibanez RG1820X loaded with BNP-Juggernauts, right now the guitar is tune downed to D Standard with Elixir string gauge 11-49 and, at last but not least I used just the new update for factory presets, it's Preset #82 Petrucci

how does it sound to your ears ?

Im new to the forum since I just bought my AX8 but I have seen some of your videos and they sound awesome as this one! Did you use the default preset #82 ? or did you use a custom IR? It sounds really good!!! Thanks

I think your tone is better than John's. Lately he's got a solo sound that's brittle, and a rhythm tone that's a bit too much scooped. I think his top tone is on Awake and Scenes from a Memory album - should be the Dual Rectifier / Lone star period :)

Since you asked for feedback, I think the overall playing and display of chops is flawless-spot on!

I don't hear any reverb whatsoever in John's reference track, and on your take, I'm thinking that the Axe-Fx version might sound closer if you dialed back the 'verb.

Im new to the forum since I just bought my AX8 but I have seen some of your videos and they sound awesome as this one! Did you use the default preset #82 ? or did you use a custom IR? It sounds really good!!! Thanks

Welcome to FAS forum :), thank you so much for following my musical journey that means a lot to me, I just used #82 it's Petrucci's preset with it F IR it's Petrucci Mix V30, I highly recommend it and dont forget to use it with the latest update which is available on FAS website, I'm using MLSOUNDLAB cab-packs all the time actually you can find a huge variety of cabs, tones in ML IRs land it's also available on FAS website, please let me know if you need further advice on making a nice FAT OD tone, pristine cleans ...etc,

I think your tone is better than John's. Lately he's got a solo sound that's brittle, and a rhythm tone that's a bit too much scooped. I think his top tone is on Awake and Scenes from a Memory album - should be the Dual Rectifier / Lone star period :)

Thank you very much for your nice word about my video clip, well actually I'm HUGE fan of John Petrucci, Dream Theater, Prog/Metal ...etc, and always follow him in all angles, I'm not going to judge his tone, actually never because simply He's man of his job ! :), to me this kind of videos is focus more on advertising for a particular shop like Reverb.com IMO, I actually love all of his guitar tones in all DT albums they completely match with the character of musical ideas in that albums IMO.

Last edited:
Since you asked for feedback, I think the overall playing and display of chops is flawless-spot on!

I don't hear any reverb whatsoever in John's reference track, and on your take, I'm thinking that the Axe-Fx version might sound closer if you dialed back the 'verb.

He never use a reverb in his chain, actually He don't like it, and I just wanted use default preset and what ever is on it in order to show that how much it's good without touching anything in those blocks...etc

Last edited:
Hi Hyper Planet (or anyone else who has experience)
I just got my Axe FX II last week and that patch ( #82) doesn't sound anything like that in my Studio. Are you changing ANY of the settings ??

I am playing through a) KRK Studio Monitors or b) Bose PA or c) Power amp into Hi-Fi speakers or d)Headphones from the Axe
with Ibanez Egen 18 or Ibanez JS1200...They all sound somewhat "Similar"... my sound is weak and broken with no drive or sustain... Am I doing something wrong ?...

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated
P.S I do have some other sounds that are "O.K." ish...but I was shocked to hear that was patch #82
Thanks
Owen

Hi Hyper Planet (or anyone else who has experience)
I just got my Axe FX II last week and that patch ( #82) doesn't sound anything like that in my Studio. Are you changing ANY of the settings ??

I am playing through a) KRK Studio Monitors or b) Bose PA or c) Power amp into Hi-Fi speakers or d)Headphones from the Axe
with Ibanez Egen 18 or Ibanez JS1200...They all sound somewhat "Similar"... my sound is weak and broken with no drive or sustain... Am I doing something wrong ?...

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated
P.S I do have some other sounds that are "O.K." ish...but I was shocked to hear that was patch #82
Thanks
Owen

I'm using default preset just increased the level in order to fit it with my guitar, take a look at you level on VU meter in utility page may be you need to increase it a little bit higher than the zero dB line, if it's behind the line and keep in mind you don't clipping while you're playing on low register of the neck

I'm using default preset just increased the level in order to fit it with my guitar, take a look at you level on VU meter in utility page may be you need to increase it a little bit higher than the zero dB line, if it's behind the line and keep in mind you don't clipping while you're playing on low register of the neck

@Hyper Planet ...yes I am below the line...Do you mean increase it by turning up the the output level of the amp...or something else...??

Back
Top Bottom