Dream Theater 2013 - The Looking Glass guitar tone

JJunkie

Power User
Hey, this is my attempt at matching the new DT album tone using the Ultra and Ozone 4. I dunno why, but whenever I "match" a heavy tone, there is always some mids lacking. Well I just cranked the amp sim's mid control a bit after doing the match, but it doesnt compensate in the right way. I can't say this is a very exact match but its pretty close considering that its only based on the first E note of the song, which lasts less than half a second.

Should I be cranking the volume when matching?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzi3scwnkbgol2y/The Looking Glass EQ Match.mp3

Why only the low E?
You could have used the first 2-3 seconds to do a more precise tonematch.

To compensate the mid you should check with a spectrum analyzer both the original signal and yours to find the problem.
Then you could use a PEQ at the end of the chain.

Why only the low E?
You could have used the first 2-3 seconds to do a more precise tonematch.

To compensate the mid you should check with a spectrum analyzer both the original signal and yours to find the problem.
Then you could use a PEQ at the end of the chain.

Thanks for replying. I always do try for a match using as much clip available as possible, up to a few seconds, but it usually doesn't seem to turn out as well as when I truncate the clips down to a single low note / chord and chop out the pick attack before running them through Ozone. Thats just what has worked for me up to now and most likely to do with my sloppy playing technique (compared with the original track), but I also believe that dynamics and transient noises, like pick attack can unfavourably skew the EQ match curve, and thats why I try to get rid of them.

Anyway, I will try running the full 3 seconds of my "matched" track through Ozone again to see if there is anything that jumps out. It will have to be tomorrow, if my newborn lets me.

I'm still curious why the mids dont match well

Back
Top Bottom