IRs Dr Bonkers New Bass Cabs Impulse Response (IR) Files for Sale!!!!

Third-party impulse response pack

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Good news!!!

Thanks to the patience of those who were waiting, but I now have the following three Dr Bonkers Bass Cab Classics packs for sale:
  1. APFLEX 1X15 based on an Ampeg Portaflex 1X15 PF115HE
  2. AGI 8X10 based on an Aguilar DB810
  3. SBB 8X10 based on an Ampeg SVT 810AV
You can find them for sale here: https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/

For those of you who are asking why they are not on sale with Fractal, it was not due to a lack of quality but just a desire to do my own thing. A lot of the answers may be found in the FAQ and Why Dr Bonkers? pages on my site.

Enjoy, tell your friends and post some music with these IR's please. Let's spread the word!

The more I sell, the more cab packs I can offer.

Suggestion: add more info to thread title, like the word "Bass". ;-)

Suggestion: add more info to thread title, like the word "Bass". ;-)
Thanks Yek.

BTW: Someone was kind enough to e-mail me the following review today:

"I ordered and downloaded the B15, Aguilar810, and ST810 from your web site this morning. Wow!!! These are especially relevant to me as I have played through each of these cabinets IRL. I owned and gigged the SVT810 back in the day when my back would let me move it around. Mike, you are amazing! You nailed it on all 3 and I am blown away. Still playing with them, and probably will continue testing them with my band over the coming weeks. No offense to the Fractal folks, but none of the factory cabinets (for bass) can approach what you have created in your cab packs. The AXE-FX XL+ is the front end preamp, effects, and modeler that I have been searching for these many years. However, your cab packs have made it a bass player's dream come true. Thank you from the bottom of my low-end thumping heart!"​

As someone who is a guitarist, who just plays bass on occasion, what cabinet do you suggest? I love classic rock sounds, but I think my favorite bass sounds from all time come from Queensryche's Eddie Jackson. I love the growl he gets in a lot of songs.

I'm just learning how to sculpt a bass sound. It seems like it's quite a bit different than achieving guitar tones. Thanks!

As someone who is a guitarist, who just plays bass on occasion, what cabinet do you suggest? I love classic rock sounds, but I think my favorite bass sounds from all time come from Queensryche's Eddie Jackson. I love the growl he gets in a lot of songs.

SBB 8X10 Bass Cabinet IR Collection (Ampeg 8 x 10 SVT 810AV) has been the standard "rock" bass cab for the last few decades so you literally can´t go wrong with that.

Interviews with Eddie Jackson:
-I’m a big fan of 15” speakers. I typically like to record with 15s. I basically stick with the Gallien-Krueger 800RB and my 2X15 McCauley cabinets and just turn the thing up until I have the sound I want to record with.

On Theories of Flight there is no amp. Everything is DI. I had it split into four separate tracks and they all had completely different emulation on them. It’s all live though. I don’t use Plug-ins for that. I’m using actual outboard preamps or stompboxes and it all gets printed as it goes down. I did that on Sympathetic Resonance as well. But the Fates record had four different bass tracks. I had them split off into a DI, a SansAmp RBI-1 and a SansAmp PSA-1. And then I had the SansAmp Bass Driver DI going as well. I had all these sounds—some are ratty and distorted, some are bright and clanky, some are subs and some are some nasally and mid-range.
Win Hands Down was a little different. I did have an amp in there—an Ampeg SVT through a Hartke 8X10. That was combined with my SansAmp RBI-1 and a DI track.

It really depends upon what bass you are using. I was lucky enough to be sitting third row on Eddie's side of the stage during the Building Empires tour. Much of his sound is the Spector bass he uses.

What kind of bass are you using? Depending upon the bass you use, we can figure out which cab and amp can get you close to the tone.

It really depends upon what bass you are using. I was lucky enough to be sitting third row on Eddie's side of the stage during the Building Empires tour. Much of his sound is the Spector bass he uses.

What kind of bass are you using? Depending upon the bass you use, we can figure out which cab and amp can get you close to the tone.

I have a Carvin 6 string (Bunny Brunel model, was too good of a deal to pass up), with walnut body, 5 piece walnut/maple neck, ebony fretboard. Active electronics, piezo pickup in the bridge, humbucker bridge pickup, single coil neck pickup.

I'm not looking to sound just like Eddie Jackson, but that's just the ballpark tone that I tend to like.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!

I have a Carvin 6 string (Bunny Brunel model, was too good of a deal to pass up), with walnut body, 5 piece walnut/maple neck, ebony fretboard. Active electronics, piezo pickup in the bridge, humbucker bridge pickup, single coil neck pickup.

I'm not looking to sound just like Eddie Jackson, but that's just the ballpark tone that I tend to like.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!
Sweet axe!!! I wish I had the size hands to play a six string, I'm so jealous.

Based on the pickups in that thing, I would recommend the SVT if you like the smoother rock tones or the Aguilar if you think you would like the a grittier tone that a tweeter can impart.

Bass cabs are like guitar cabs in that they all have their own personalities and sweet spots.

For those of you who are asking why they are not on sale with Fractal, it was not due to a lack of quality but just a desire to do my own thing.
Glad you made that choice to branch out and do your own thing. Wishing you nothing but success. I'll be picking up the 1x15 Portaflex whenever it becomes available in Wav file format. That should work well with my EB-0 using flatwounds. :)

Glad you made that choice to branch out and do your own thing. Wishing you nothing but success. I'll be picking up the 1x15 Portaflex whenever it becomes available in Wav file format. That should work well with my EB-0 using flatwounds. :)
Thanks so much. Actually your vote for wanting wave files was one of the reasons I decided to launch my own site. 75% of the people who responded to my previous survey wanted wave file availability as a determining factor on whether to purchase a cab pack. That's a huge percentage of the bass player population for me not to take notice of. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you and also to Fractal Audio for allowing me to sell the .syx files and preset/cab-combos still.

I was a busy beaver today with reamped samples, because I was asked to provide them:

Hopefully this will inspire others to post what they have done with these cab packs :) I am really eager to hear what you do with them.

Then perhaps more people will see the cool factor of these.

Any ETA on when the Wav files for the 1x15 will be available? My money is yours, once it's available. :)
I thought I would be doing the shoot this weekend but my source has it on a gig.

Looks like next weekend I will be doing the session. 5 to 6 days after that if I burn the midnight oil and Mrs. Bonkers goes to Zumba so that I can monitor cab mixes in the proper Fletcher-Munson flattening zone.

I thought I would be doing the shoot this weekend but my source has it on a gig.

Looks like next weekend I will be doing the session. 5 to 6 days after that if I burn the midnight oil and Mrs. Bonkers goes to Zumba so that I can monitor cab mixes in the proper Fletcher-Munson flattening zone.
It's all good. Don't wear yourself out, on account of me. ;)

I picked up the SVT and the Ampeg cabs since I wanted to try out 10 inch and 15 inch speakers. I had some fun with them over the weekend.

Now I just need to get my bass set up so that playing is easier! Got a truss rod issue that needs to be resolved.

I picked up the SVT and the Ampeg cabs since I wanted to try out 10 inch and 15 inch speakers. I had some fun with them over the weekend.

Now I just need to get my bass set up so that playing is easier! Got a truss rod issue that needs to be resolved.
Thanks so much!!! When you make some music with them, I would love to hear it.

Some shitty playing here... this was done in one take, on fretless (which I haven't touched in >1 year, so, intonation issues galore) on a piece that I haven't played at all in over 2 years. But hey, I'm using @dr bonkers PF115HE cab here. In fact, I'm using a preset from that cab pack, called "Just Call Me Dubsy Ubsy". The only tweak I did to the preset was a slight boost on the level for the amp block, since it was pretty quiet with this bass.

Guitars intentionally kept far, far in the background, just to provide a little bit of structure. No processing at all done on the bass track - it is "as is" out of the Axe-Fx II

Videos coming... eventually. Audio clips will come way before video, especially since I hate how youtube just ruins audio with their compression.

Some shitty playing here... this was done in one take, on fretless (which I haven't touched in >1 year, so, intonation issues galore) on a piece that I haven't played at all in over 2 years. But hey, I'm using @dr bonkers PF115HE cab here. In fact, I'm using a preset from that cab pack, called "Just Call Me Dubsy Ubsy". The only tweak I did to the preset was a slight boost on the level for the amp block, since it was pretty quiet with this bass.

Guitars intentionally kept far, far in the background, just to provide a little bit of structure. No processing at all done on the bass track - it is "as is" out of the Axe-Fx II

Videos coming... eventually. Audio clips will come way before video, especially since I hate how youtube just ruins audio with their compression.
This sounds great! Mind if I share this on my site & FB? Did you like the ir mixes and HypeReal mixes?

Back
Top Bottom