Downtuning with pitch shifter in FW15.. sound not great

Is the formant block + pitch block somehow different from toaster style formant pitch shifting?
I've seen the demo videos, but am not that familiar with the formant block in the AFXII.

Is the formant block + pitch block somehow different from toaster style formant pitch shifting?
I've seen the demo videos, but am not that familiar with the formant block in the AFXII.

Not the same thing. Formant filter on the axe-fx is more to simulate a talk box type of sound.

Sounds fine here. Very low latency and no warble. I'm not hooked up to USB though. Once the CPU usage crosses a certain threshold (which could happen if you are streaming audio) the pitch detection will slow down as the global pitch detector necessarily has a lower priority than the primary audio processing.

If you change the Pitch Source to Local then the local pitch detector runs at the same priority as the audio.

This is new for me. So it's better to always set the Pitch source to local? especially if you use presets with higher CPU like 80-90%?
I don't fully get it and think it's a bit strange.

The pitch shift (for down tuning) was the big reason I bought the axe. It's not 100% perfect (what is) but it allows me to cover the different tunings that are now in the set and does just as good a job as the Morpheus was doing. I didn't even know the axe did this or I would have had one ages ago. I was struggling with a Morpheus Droptune and a TC Nova system. They were doing the job but the amount of times I forgot to put the Morpheus on the right setting :)
Other major problem for fly gigs was rented backline. Was very rarely what was promised.
The axe solved all of this. I get the same sound every gig. So, while the pitch shift for down tuning is not perfect (yet) I can now choose a preset and know that it will be in the right key with the sound of pretty much all my old rack and amps thrown in. I can now just get on with it and for live, it's been working fine.
Next up is getting my studio sounds replicated. Just started this week on that. Actually been fun too. :)

Sounds fine here. Very low latency and no warble. I'm not hooked up to USB though. Once the CPU usage crosses a certain threshold (which could happen if you are streaming audio) the pitch detection will slow down as the global pitch detector necessarily has a lower priority than the primary audio processing.

If you change the Pitch Source to Local then the local pitch detector runs at the same priority as the audio.

Also, there have been NO changes to the pitch block or pitch detection algorithms and this has been verified with a Windiff.

It's true! The local mode works better with high Cpu usage.Thanks Cliff for the info !

Same Problem

Let me start by saying that FW15 sounds fantastic (after noise problem in FW 15beta being solved ). It all sounds better. So thumbs up for whole FAS team.

The only issue I have left is downtuning.

I have a few presets (U2 presets) where I use a pitch shifter in front of the chain to downtune the sound ( as my singer can't reach the high notes on Pride) . I used this technique in earlier FW versions and it worked fantastically well. With FW15 am kinda hearing double notes which sound false moreover. I have tried to tweak a few parameters but without result.

Has anyone witnessed the same, and in case has anyone found a solution?

Tx a lot in advance guys

Wow! Now mine is not working. Earlier, I was able to insert a pitch block, fixed harm, -1, mix at 100% and would get a half step down. Now when I do it I get both the -1 and the standard tuning sound and a bunch of noise. ???

Wow! Now mine is not working. Earlier, I was able to insert a pitch block, fixed harm, -1, mix at 100% and would get a half step down. Now when I do it I get both the -1 and the standard tuning sound and a bunch of noise. ???
Are you turning the voice 2 level down?

Are you turning the voice 2 level down?

No. Voice 2 level was 100% even though pitch was 0. Turning down to zero almost fixed it completely but I still hear a trace of the standard tuning in the mix. This was the case with earlier versions of the firmware?

No. Voice 2 level was 100% even though pitch was 0. Turning down to zero almost fixed it completely but I still hear a trace of the standard tuning in the mix. This was the case with earlier versions of the firmware?

Unusable as it.

From viewing that video of the Kemper Formant shift, i'd have to say for me it is 100% more usable than the traditional pitch shifter, I hope we get that someday I could use it often!!!!

I can't reproduce it. Pitch, fixed harmony, mix 100% and voice 2 turned down. All I hear is the shifted voice.
Please post your preset.

Back
Top Bottom