Downtuning with pitch shifter in FW15.. sound not great

zecure

Inspired
Let me start by saying that FW15 sounds fantastic (after noise problem in FW 15beta being solved ). It all sounds better. So thumbs up for whole FAS team.

The only issue I have left is downtuning.

I have a few presets (U2 presets) where I use a pitch shifter in front of the chain to downtune the sound ( as my singer can't reach the high notes on Pride) . I used this technique in earlier FW versions and it worked fantastically well. With FW15 am kinda hearing double notes which sound false moreover. I have tried to tweak a few parameters but without result.

Has anyone witnessed the same, and in case has anyone found a solution?

Tx a lot in advance guys

I thought nothing has changed in the Pitch Block in FW15. So it must be something else I guess.

Here you go. I have bypassed the pitch shifter , when you enable it it downtunes but the sound is not great anymore. As Cab I have used the one that is delivered with the firmware OH 412 MLAR-CB V30 CH Studio mod.

tx a lot for your help

Attachments

• U2 Pride Wowy.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Cliff,

Any ideas on the horizon for a more accurate down tuning technology? It would be awesome to be able to cut down on one guitar at a gig. I was using the pitch block to downtown for a while but the feel of the guitar made me go back to just using a down tuned guitar.

Any epiphanies on how to improve this? If anyone's able to figure it out I'm sure you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

i just imported the patch and i agree...something strange is going on. even with track set at 2.8, as you have it, latency is pretty bad, with quite a lot of warble

if i were you, i'd send this patch to cliff, so he can have a listen to it. i don't remember the fixed shifter being this wonky at 1 semitone shift before...

oh, and for authenticity, have you tried using the 2x12 blue mix and 2x12 silver mix. they sound really good together

yep indeed exactly same thoughts Simeon.. did not have it in earlier FW versions. so FW 15 must have impacted in one way or another.. and tx for the tips on the cabs . will try them.

I hope Cliff reads the thread so that he can download/ listen to the patch

Sounds fine here. Very low latency and no warble. I'm not hooked up to USB though. Once the CPU usage crosses a certain threshold (which could happen if you are streaming audio) the pitch detection will slow down as the global pitch detector necessarily has a lower priority than the primary audio processing.

If you change the Pitch Source to Local then the local pitch detector runs at the same priority as the audio.

Also, there have been NO changes to the pitch block or pitch detection algorithms and this has been verified with a Windiff.

i did actually notice a slight improvement with tracking set near default at about 6. i tried switching between global and local detection (because i find local to be slightly better sometimes), but didn't notice a huge difference. i was actually noticing quite a lag when playing from silence. i know nothing's changed with the shifter, but it did feel really odd to me. maybe i just haven't scrutinised it that closely, or i use so many damn effects at once, that i just couldn't hear it properly.

i wanted to add that i've always founf the performance of the shifter to be slightly worse in patches that contain two amps. i could never be sure it wasn't just my imagination, but i've been more convinced of this recently. all i would say is, cliff...download the preset and compare with the test you just did, which was presumably in a patch with one amp. see if you think there's any difference.....

i wanted to add that i've always founf the performance of the shifter to be slightly worse in patches that contain two amps. i could never be sure it wasn't just my imagination, but i've been more convinced of this recently. all i would say is, cliff...download the preset and compare with the test you just did, which was presumably in a patch with one amp. see if you think there's any difference.....

I used his patch. Sounds fine here.

is probably a stupid comment towards you Cliff, but the pitch shifter needs to be un-bypassed as i posted the preset with pitch shifter disabled. by enabling it he sound down tunes 1 step and then i hear that big latency .

is probably a stupid comment towards you Cliff, but the pitch shifter needs to be un-bypassed as i posted the preset with pitch shifter disabled. by enabling it he sound down tunes 1 step and then i hear that big latency .

Obviously. It sounds fine here and no different than prior firmware (as would be expected as the code hasn't changed).

Back
Top Bottom