Downloads for Axechange allways sound thin !

lukather

Inspired
I have been downloading other sys files from the Axechange and other peoples banks. Ive worked through hundreds of patches and they always seem to sound thin and unusable... :shock:

Im currently running a WDW - have a Axefx - Boogie 2:90/8008 a Marshall 4 x 12 (v30s) and 2 x 1 x 12s Bogner (v30s) Valley arts 'luke' Emgs and EB Luke Emgs....

couple of daft questions- how do people have there inputs and outputs set....i have input at 1 oclock and outputs both stereo at 12? anyone defferent?

yes I do run and extra dry for all the Axechange downloads!

Anyone else running WDW? have any patches I can try out?
Any thoughts...

Not sure what's going on here, most of the Axechange patches are for full range setups not amp/cab. My guess is that simply removing the cab sim from the patch isn't going to sound great through a rig with Poweramp and guitar cab.

Do you have global cab/power amp sims turned off? I played through a power amp and guitar cab but I found that everything sounded better with the power amp sims on and cab sims off...

Are you running the boogie power amp at a decent volume (6 out of 10 or so) so that the tubes are working? If you run at low levels then I suggest trying with the Power Amp sims on if you are not already.

For the record my input level is set so that I see the first red light every now and again when I batter the crap out of the strings on my les paul. If I run my strat in then the input is less but that would be the same on a real amp and one reason for switching guitars....

Hope you work it out.

Spence

Axechange, while an excellent idea, still suffers from the fact that SO many things are dependent upon how your running.

FRFR (running PA speakers such as the QSC will sound different than a studio monitor...)
Clean poweramp and cab ( just taking the cab out is generally not enough, since it has so much of an effect on tone that you probably wont' get the same response from an external cab)
tube poweramp/cab (same story)
The guitar used to create the patch MATTERS.
On and on.

I find even with tweaking, many of them do not work for me. It's kind of a fun exercise to experiment with the way others do things, but in the end, the only thing that has REALLY worked was to create my own.

lukather said:
I have been downloading other sys files from the Axechange and other peoples banks. Ive worked through hundreds of patches and they always seem to sound thin and unusable... :shock:

Im currently running a WDW - have a Axefx - Boogie 2:90/8008 a Marshall 4 x 12 (v30s) and 2 x 1 x 12s Bogner (v30s) Valley arts 'luke' Emgs and EB Luke Emgs....

couple of daft questions- how do people have there inputs and outputs set....i have input at 1 oclock and outputs both stereo at 12? anyone defferent?

yes I do run and extra dry for all the Axechange downloads!

Anyone else running WDW? have any patches I can try out?
Any thoughts...

sounds like you are running a much different setup than the vast majority of posters, so you would have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get them to work on your set up.

IMHO, quite honestly, Axe-Exchange is best used for research and learning... only.

As noted above, because of the absolutely huge range of ways guys create a rig around this thing, there is no real way to 'share' a patch. Every situation is so different.

For instance, unless a guy is using an (FRFR) Axe-FX - QSC rig *and* running mono, my patches will do you no good.

What is good is that you can 'get inside' other folks' approaches to setting up routing, effects/amp/cab settings and learning from them to better make your own patches.

The stale 'presets suck' debate revolves around this same reality; the fact that this thing is SO flexible and SO powerful both works FOR it and then again, AGAINST it at the same time.

Hi Guys thanks for the responses....does this mean most people are running stereo? mmmm I dont think I could ever go back after WDW...yes it may not make a difference out front but man does it sound awesome...

I did some direct comparisons last night...had my Toto - Tambu album ....luke with his 3+SE...

The Axefx/EB Luke CAE sim...with the bogners...gets so close on sound...I was blown away......another friggin 5 hours of my life went missing..

I would be interested in sending someone who runs a similar system to mine a patch and get some feedback on how it sounds ...

Anybody on here run WDW?

lukather said:
Hi Guys thanks for the responses....does this mean most people are running stereo? mmmm I dont think I could ever go back after WDW...yes it may not make a difference out front but man does it sound awesome...

I did some direct comparisons last night...had my Toto - Tambu album ....luke with his 3+SE...

The Axefx/EB Luke CAE sim...with the bogners...gets so close on sound...I was blown away......another friggin 5 hours of my life went missing..

I would be interested in sending someone who runs a similar system to mine a patch and get some feedback on how it sounds ...

Anybody on here run WDW?

Most run stereo or mono. I have run W/D/W in the past but since we are all in-ears and direct now it is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom