Downloads are taking much longer...

CipherHost

Experienced
Anyone else seeing a huge increase in the time it takes to download internet content with programs like youtube-dl or Any Video Converter? Two days ago I was able to download a 40 minute video in about 2-3 minutes. Now it takes over an hour and a half. Rebooted all my devices. Any ideas?
1634147710335.png

Anyone else seeing a huge increase in the time it takes to download internet content with programs like youtube-dl or Any Video Converter? Two days ago I was able to download a 40 minute video in about 2-3 minutes. Now it takes over an hour. Rebooted all my devices. Any ideas?
View attachment 90177
Looks like a problem at several ISP's in your area or where the server is located.

1634148146590.png

what speed are you supposed to be getting from your provider? Is that speed over WiFi or wired speed?

Anyone else seeing a huge increase in the time it takes to download internet content with programs like youtube-dl…
Something else to check is whether youtube-dl is current. YouTube doesn't really want us downloading the content, so they'll do things that slow or break youtube-dl, then the developers will find a way around it and update.

youtube-dl --update is your friend.

@mj3 - That's my WiFi speed. It's what I've always been using. Don't know how to check for what @Toopy14 found, but thanks for that info. @Greg Ferguson - I checked for updates for both applications. Maybe they have not come up with a work around yet. It just started last night. I used youtube-dl -U. I think it does the same thing? It has corrected problems in the past.
youtube-dl is up-to-date (2021.06.06)
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Called Spectrum. First they sent a "reset" signal to my Modem. No effect. Second call I spoke with a person! :) He said I had "outside signals". Tech is coming tomorrow. We'll see.

Just had Spectrum here. I do need to get a newer router. Mine is old. He hooked up a newer router and my speed test jumped to 250 Mbps. But even after the tech replaced a few connectors and with the new router, same slow download speed on YT. Looks like YT somehow put some kind of governor on downloads. I can get 1.8 Mbps downloading a FB video with youtube-dl, but only 40 Kbps on YT. Anyone else finding the same thing in their part of the world?

youtu.be/Vlzk9989dzg

So I use this Firefox plugin;

1634240343508.png

which allows me to download a 720p MP4 video. If I try and download a 1080p video, YouTube throws up this message;

1634240493988.png

It says I can't download 720p, but I can.

As for the download speed, it's 5.1 MB/sec and it took less than 10 seconds.

1634240656380.png

As for my Internet connection. I'm on DSL and pay for 50/10 Mbps, which is pretty close to what I get on the download side. I exceed it on the upload side. I'm a couple kilometres away from the CO, so hitting 50 Mbps down is a stretch...I come close once in a while. Here are the results for a wired connection.

1634241153398.png

Last edited:
I have used and love the Firefox browser for years now.

Knock on wood----seems to eliminate a lot of issues people experiencing running
other browsers by the evil mega-conglomerates. ;)

@Toopy14 - Thank you so much. I downloaded FireFox and the extension. Now I'm back to 1.8 Mbps like I was before. Now I just need to get a new router! You're the best!

You're welcome! Glad I could help. :)

I'm still using the Axe-II, so about all I can do is lurk the forum and help where I can or post silly things in the lounge!

Back
Top Bottom