Downgrading to FW9

Thats what I thought, you said your were going to try it without the magnum in the chain which means your not gonna hear anything out of the cab. I quess its a tough question to answer since smooth and polished is very subjective. The tweaks you could make on the axe fx are pretty standard. Try turning down the preamp gain and increasing the master volume for more power amp saturation/compression, or just simply turn the comp setting up in the amp block. Try turning pick attack down, dynamic presence down ect..

I'm sorry if I was unclear - I meant that I'd try it with the power amp modelling on the axe turned off, not the magnum. The last part is great advice though, the 'standard tweaks' you mention are things I'm not familiar with, so I'll have a play with them :)

I'm sorry if I was unclear - I meant that I'd try it with the power amp modelling on the axe turned off, not the magnum. The last part is great advice though, the 'standard tweaks' you mention are things I'm not familiar with, so I'll have a play with them :)

No prob :) Fixing tone issues can be tough unless the person helping is there to hear it and then hear an example of exactly what your going for. Personally I would start as simple as possible with the patch, just an amp with the power amp modelling bypassed. A TS808 in front of the amp with 0 drive, tone anywhere from 5-8, and level to taste will help tighten up the attack without out making it too ice picky. Try the FAS modern with the master around 3-4 and the preamp/input trim around 2-3. This is how I generally run my main rhythm patch. Presence, bass, mids, ect, to taste. I cant speak for how well the EHX magnum will work in conjunction, but you may want to try ruling that out by trying a different power amp and seeing what the differences are.

Also, take a few minutes and try something. Now that I am thinking about it, IIRC with the power amp modelling off, the master shouldnt do anything but be a level control. If that is the case, when you are running the Magnum very clean your actually almost completely bypassing ANY power amp stage, which will leave you ONLY with the preamp distortion (which can def sound fizzy, icey, ect.) If you are going to bypass the power amp modelling on the AFX then you might want to try increasing the drive on the magnum to compensate. Or visa versa and leave the power amp modelling on with the AFX and keep the magnum cleaner. I would also be weary of the bright switch on the Magnum and try adjusting things like the definition parameter. I generally use a little extra pick attack and definition on my main patch to give things a little more clarity and note separation.

I just downgraded to V9 today too, just to finally try it out.. and I hate to say it but, HUGE difference. I get all the tone I want finally, after struggling so hard for 7 months with FW 10 and FW 11, even with Ownhammer IR's. I was about to sell the II and go back to the Ultra, but V9 seems to solve all the issues I had with the II.

Now my big question. I keep reading that AxeEdit will literally F up your unit while on V9.. Can anyone confirm or deny this?? It works for me when I used it for 10 minutes outside of the cabnames.. but I don't want to ruin the unit obviously.. Has anyone made a working Axe Edit with V9 since then?? Seriously considering selling the II if I have to go back to FW11 so I'd like a solution.

I don't get it man, I loved things about 9 too but I feel like FW11 is the best of both worlds between 9 and 10. How are u using it Skyze?

This is very interesting.

I bought the Axe II wither version 9, and loved it! Derryl Gabel did some amazing holdsworth patches that had lots of gain, but were smooth, and fantastic sounding.

Ever since upgrading to 10 (now 11) the patches have been:
1. Clipping output and distorted. I just wiped my axe to upgrade to the latest set of patches to try fix this issue.
2. Lower quality output sound. Gain management and distortion seems to be very problematic in the unit now
3. Impossible to get UNITY GAIN. All of the blocks are driving much more gain, and clipping other block algos.
4. Harder to program. I am still a beginner with the UI, but I found tweaking patches was manageable with 9, with 11 the results are much less predictable.

In short I much preferred the sound of 9 to the sound of 10 or 11.

I think Fractal need to give the whole unit a serious Quality Assurance month or 2. No new features. The unit need serious testing of the signal path to get the gain and distortion (read clipping, bad distortion) under control. Lots of different ways to test this, not just with guitars or a sinusoid.
The software needs to default each and every block to unity gain, and clearly indicate to the user the relative gain levels each block is producing.

The engineers at Fractal need to go back to version 9, and figure out how to make 11 sound as good, while including the improvements.

Regards,
Robin Dymond

I bought the Axe II wither version 9, and loved it! Derryl Gabel did some amazing holdsworth patches that had lots of gain, but were smooth, and fantastic sounding.

1. Clipping output and distorted. I just wiped my axe to upgrade to the latest set of patches to try fix this issue.
2. Lower quality output sound. Gain management and distortion seems to be very problematic in the unit now
3. Impossible to get UNITY GAIN. All of the blocks are driving much more gain, and clipping other block algos.
4. Harder to program. I am still a beginner with the UI, but I found tweaking patches was manageable with 9, with 11 the results are much less predictable.

I think Fractal need to give the whole unit a serious Quality Assurance month or 2. No new features. The unit need serious testing of the signal path to get the gain and distortion (read clipping, bad distortion) under control. Lots of different ways to test this, not just with guitars or a sinusoid.
The software needs to default each and every block to unity gain, and clearly indicate to the user the relative gain levels each block is producing.

The engineers at Fractal need to go back to version 9, and figure out how to make 11 sound as good, while including the improvements.

Regards,
Robin Dymond

You're mixing up user error and quality control.
Post a preset and we'll help fix the issues.

I guess it makes no difference to say, but FW 9.02 is not leaving my axe 2 anytime soon. It just works. For recordings, live use, the whole deal. I live without axe edit because i really fancy the sound in 9.02. FW 10 or 11 just didn't cut it for me.

Peace - Ravaya

do we still have the ability to choose firmware version from the global parameters? (i don't have the axe in front of me right now). if so, you could load 11, but choose v9 modelling and retain the ability to use axe edit etc, but have the sound you prefer...

Not sure why they need to fix anything, the wrong set of patches with the a new FW wont function correctly, hence why they made new patches and you installed them.

Huh? Did you try all the standard stuff like system reset, parameter reset? There is no drop in "quality" and the gain management is as simple as managing gain in any other system.

Again, huh? Are you really worried about whether the numbers on the parameters are at 0? Doing things this way is going to defeat the purpose of what your trying to do. With amps that are very bassy or very bright the frequency balance difference is going to make one sound louder than the other and you'll have to compensate on one patch or the other, making unity gain pointless.

Nothing has drastically changed when using the front panel.

Unless you have a defective unit then I am not sure how anyone is going to help you. They have moved passed it and I doubt they aren't looking back, and why should they. The general opinion on FW11 is that its the best one yet.

Last edited:
FW9 was my favorite firmware on the AxeFX-II; however, firmware 10 and 11 sound more realistic in my opinion. I've had a ton of problems after firmware 10 but nothing significant enough to go back. Tone Match has not worked right and things sound a bit more "brittle" for lack of a better word, but for the most part I've been able to tweak enough to get a great tone.

Reminds me of teaching foreign students how to speak English. They said it was harder to understand me than to understand the other foreign folks attending the course.

Regards,
Robin Dymond

we have a contender for the most ridiculous post award...

Hey Robin,

There's no rule that says you can't use FW9 if that's what you prefer, but to say theres something wrong with any future firmwares is absolutely absurd (no offense).

Hey Robin,

There's no rule that says you can't use FW9 if that's what you prefer, but to say theres something wrong with any future firmwares is absolutely absurd (no offense).

Didn't you have to get one of your favourite amps remimiced on a later FW? (Including quite a few other amps unrelated)
I guess I'm one of the crazy ones that preferred and stuck with 9 also.

I don't use multiple IR mixes and advanced parameters so that's probably why I struggled so much

Didn't you have to get one of your favourite amps remimiced on a later FW? (Including quite a few other amps unrelated)
I guess I'm one of the crazy ones that preferred and stuck with 9 also.

I don't use multiple IR mixes and advanced parameters so that's probably why I struggled so much

It wasn't a favorite amp but one I owned in the real world, and Cliff made a change after he revisited it and I remember quite a few IIC+ lovers on the forum fell in love with the updated model. As it's a forum, yes this is a place to discuss changes, report bugs, etc, but what Robin is saying is that from FW9 to 11, the modeling needs 'quality control' while all it needs is to go back through, level patches and adjust a few settings.

I don't mean offense when I say its absurd, but it's common sense and happens with EVERY firmware change that presets will be different. He could roll back to firmware 4 if he wanted, but you can't say that future firmwares have an issue because he has a preference :p

I don't touch advanced parameters by the way. I treat the Axe Fx as an amp head, albeit an all-encompassing, badass, amp head. You don't *need* to go into any advanced menus to get the tone you desire, 150+ models in the axe fx and each one has its own color.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom