Doubling effect like the TC Electronic Mimiq

Chiguete

Experienced
Ok so don't bash me because I don't know this allready (don't own the AX8 yet because of some unexpected payments this month) but does the AX8 have a doubling effect that works like the TC Electronic Mimiq so you can have different ways that you do the doubling? Thanks all.

I don't know, if you can do exactly the same, but it is possible to add delays and micro pitch shift so you essentially get a double tracked sound. You can also add modifiers, to the pitch shift and delay, such that they are not constant (the mimic does that). The mimic might even add randomized modification to make it truly 'human'. I am not sure Ax8 can do randomized stuff.

Pretty sure you can attach a modifier to one of the voices in the pitch block and use a random LOF that changes the waveform but I think it needs to be monitored in stereo for it to really work right.

You are right sixstring, you can actually attach an LFO to the pitch parameter and choose random waveform.

So, it is perfectly possible to achieve everything the Mimic does.

I listened to a few YT demos of that pedal and it sounds like the stereo enhancer with a real wet setting.
You are right sixstring, you can actually attach an LFO to the pitch parameter and choose random waveform.

So, it is perfectly possible to achieve everything the Mimic does.
I goofed around with it today while you were sleeping and the AX8 does not have a random waveform to choose in the modifier source window :(

I messed around with using Pitch and Envelope controls but in the end it just sounded like a micro pitch with varying degrees of intensity. Personally I thought the Enhancer sounded better.

You see its hard to do for the average user (if not imposible) and that's why a dedicated effect recreating the options of the Mimiq and maybe even adding a few more would be awesome.

You see its hard to do for the average user (if not imposible) and that's why a dedicated effect recreating the options of the Mimiq and maybe even adding a few more would be awesome.

This is an age old discussion on the FAS board and from what I can remember FAS did not want to copy effect algorithms of other effect units but rather give everyone a blank canvas with all the controls and leave it up to the individual to figure out how too or create your own.

I know I admittedly complained about it with the argument that not everyone has the knowledge in order to be creative in building or re- creating one's favorite effect.

This is partly what this forum is for - So many people here are very helpful, and I have learned so much by using this forum in the 6 months that I had my Ax8.

So it took me half an hour to cook up a passable Quad tracking effect

Here are three sound bytes: 1) Single tracked, no FX - just amp and cab, 2) Actual Quad tracked guitars, only Amp and Cab from Ax8, 3) Quad track simulation using a delay block and a pitch block.

And here is the preset - I used a commercial cab for the sound in the clip (specifically Cabir.eu's super tight Mode4_CAB_M01_MULTI_I, Ping @Morphosis ), but I added a 'similar' factory cab in the preset)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10538417/Board Ax8/Quad Track FAS HOTROD Smittefar.syx

I added a mastering compressor and a limiter in Reaper, and I used it a bit more aggresively than I normally would for a sound demo, but I felt the track needed a bit of squashing to sound right.

Hi @Smittefar,
Any chance you could post the preset that uses "Quad track simulation using a delay block and a pitch block. The existing dropbox link for "Quad Track FAS HOTROD Smittefar.syx" gives me a 404 error.
Thanks!

Now I have to listen to Clips to see what it does. My first thoughts were why? Adjusting a delay between 20 to 25 Ms with give you a doubling (chorus) effect. Put the delay in separate path with a pitch block nd you could adjust how you want the doubling to sound. Or just use a modulated delay. Well off to listen and find out how wrong I am.. LOL

Hi @Smittefar,
Any chance you could post the preset that uses "Quad track simulation using a delay block and a pitch block. The existing dropbox link for "Quad Track FAS HOTROD Smittefar.syx" gives me a 404 error.
Thanks!
I will try to find it. Unfortunately, all Dropbox links died, when Dropbox killed the public folder :-(

Back
Top Bottom