Wish Doubler

Isn't this what chorusing is supposed to be?

Maybe try having a Chorus or Flange 'Manual' control modified to follow the sequencer set to random values and a pretty low HPF setting to smooth the transitions, and have the Envelope follower advance it a step at every pick attack to help make it follow the playing a bit and not sound 'swooshy'?

Short answer: no. One way to look at it: when you do double tracking, the first take doesn't start warbling when you record a second take.
Maybe try having a Chorus or Flange 'Manual' control modified to follow the sequencer set to random values and a pretty low HPF setting to smooth the transitions, and have the Envelope follower advance it a step at every pick attack to help make it follow the playing a bit and not sound 'swooshy'?
A Mimiq or Kemper doubler work by not doing a chorus/pitch effect at all. If you look at the doubler preset above, it works like a Mimiq and doesn't do any chorusing or pitch effect.

That's not to say you can't get a pleasing stereo effect from a chorus, obviously you can. But, that's probably not the best way to emulate double tracking.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

Not really - It can be used in a pinch however my request is about getting something that is good. (Chorus based doubling sounds more like a chorus).
Someone like Cliff looking at this would (IMHO) open up a number of techniques that would probably sound as good as, or better than anything else available.

Thanks
Pauly

Short answer: no. One way to look at it: when you do double tracking, the first take doesn't start warbling when you record a second take.

A Mimiq or Kemper doubler work by not doing a chorus/pitch effect at all. If you look at the doubler preset above, it works like a Mimiq and doesn't do any chorusing or pitch effect.

That's not to say you can't get a pleasing stereo effect from a chorus, obviously you can. But, that's probably not the best way to emulate double tracking.
I think what @Joe Bfstplk was saying is to use chorus or flanger without the LFO cycling. Chorus and flanger only sound their usual way when their LFO is running. Set it to 0 and they’re just a super short delay. Reduce the feedback and they also lose their tunnel/tube sound.

Its corollary is using a regular delay with the LFO; the LFO will add the sound we recognize as chorus to its sound. Turn off the LFO and it’s a regular delay.

Last edited:
I think what @Joe Bfstplk was saying is to use chorus or flanger without the LFO cycling.
Yeah, forgot to mention zeroing the depth. Sorry, lots going on around here, missed a bit....

Ended up using two flanges - one set to the middle of the manual range, and the other set to dance around it with the sequencer stepped by the ADSR. I suppose it could've been a reeeealy short delay (5-7ms?) instead of the other flange, but it was easy to copy the flange and tweak, so I did that. I'd like to have a dedicated pick attack detector which could momentarily or toggle-ly switch stuff. The ADSR is kinda ok for the momentary switching if set so the sustain level is 0%, but a dedicated pick attack detector could work a lot better, I think, and being able to toggle on/off instead of just momentarily on and back off would be pretty cool for a lot of things, I think....

Last edited:
Yeah, forgot to mention zeroing the depth. Sorry, lots going on around here, missed a bit....

Ended up using two flanges - one set to the middle of the manual range, and the other set to dance around it with the sequencer stepped by the ADSR. I suppose it could've been a reeeealy short delay (5-7ms?) instead of the other flange, but it was easy to copy the flange and tweak, so I did that. I'd like to have a dedicated pick attack detector which could momentarily or toggle-ly switch stuff. The ADSR is kinda ok for the momentary switching if set so the sustain level is 0%, but a dedicated pick attack detector could work a lot better, I think, and being able to toggle on/off instead of just momentarily on and back off would be pretty cool for a lot of things, I think....
Yes, that detector would be a handy feature...which is the purpose of this thread :). In other words, the results would be better if Cliff could provide a new feature, rather than for us to try to do it with the tools currently at our disposal. For an example of the closest I've been able to come with existing features, here's a doubler preset and some comments about the switching issue:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ture-on-axe-fx-iii.179347/page-2#post-2188617

P.S. Note the key feature of this preset is the cross fading between delays instead of stepping the delay time like you're suggesting. That's the important bit Matt and I were discussing in that other thread to avoid undesirable artifacts.

Last edited:
I've run a Mimiq in one of my loops for a couple of years now (got the idea from the Ken Andrews rig rundown that featured his Axe Fx rig), and yea, I'd love to have an accurate mimic of the Mimiq. It's a great sounding pedal, and for those of us who use a lot of stereo (90% of my playing is in stereo), having a version of this in the box would be awesome. It's such a wide sounding pedal- very noticeable in person, without sounding weird or phasey.

I am simple type guitar player, as I have stated many times. I did listen to the Brett Kingman video posted and to me it sounds like an elaborately controlled Chorus type of effect.
It's nice. So in that vain, for me it would be cool to have it. I don't normally play in stereo, so maybe that defeats the Effect, I don't know.
But Bretts guitar sounded cool imho!

Back
Top Bottom