Double-Tracking for Fat Live Sound? Any new ideas?

For each note I play, 5 additional notes are heard. 2 each from 2-voice intelligent pitch shifters, and a 5th from a synth.
Yes I will share the patch... as soon as Axe-Change launches!

Lunar Rainbow Fugue - great name. I like the tune - don't sell it short. Can't wait for Axe-Change to see the patch. Well done Matt.

Putting my money where my mouth is, here is a quick shhot at "crazy fugal stuff." That is, this is played live in real time, never more than one note at a time, with the Axe-Fx doing the rest.
The playing and composition are nothing special, but it demonstrates quickly the most extreme example I could come up with of simulating the performance of more than one musician at a time.

For each note I play, 5 additional notes are heard. 2 each from 2-voice intelligent pitch shifters, and a 5th from a synth.

Can the Axe sound like a guitar amp also? :D

Sooooo coool M@tt

View attachment GiraADT.syx
Here it is!

I don't have the Axe with me ATM, this is a preset made only with Axe-Edit, I hope it will work :)

AMP1 and 2 are panned hard L/R into a stereo cab.

The delay time in front of AMP2 is in the 4-9ms interval and it's controlled by LFO2, a little dumping is also going on. The delay is 100% wet.

LFO2 is a random LFO and the run parameter is controlled by LFO1.

LFO1 is another random LFO, higher rate than LFO2. Right now I can't remember how I get to the damp time, LFO1 and LFO2 rates but these parameters work well.

This is the best way I found to prevent chorusing, fixed phasing and other similar effects trying to auto double track.

(For English speaking people, can you understand me? :) )

Putting my money where my mouth is, here is a quick shhot at "crazy fugal stuff." That is, this is played live in real time, never more than one note at a time, with the Axe-Fx doing the rest.
The playing and composition are nothing special, but it demonstrates quickly the most extreme example I could come up with of simulating the performance of more than one musician at a time.

very clever

Hi Axemen,

I just wanted to inform you about my personal progress in creating a Double-Tracking-Patch, including some of the helping ideas from you:
1) Two amps - but not two of the same. I took a JVM OD2 and a 6160 using two lines (all amps panned in the middle)
I have made settings for both amps, where they sound quite similar, decreased the bass of both amp-patches and balanced the presence of the two amps, so that none would stay too much "behind" the other one.
The funny thing is, that the JVM (IMO) seems to react a little more slowly than the 6160 - which also created a little delay without using any delay (not even in the speaker section)

2) I took (cause it's by far my favourite IR The Uberkab T75 V30 Mix from Redwirez inkluding the Sennheiser 441 CapEdge off Axxis) panned left/right at 3 and 9 ò clock)
No proximity effect needed (it's all in the Redwirez IR) I made a Low cut at 95 hz and High Cut at 7 khz

3) I took the left cabinet and decreased the size from 1 to 0,964 (it's a really extremley noticeable effect!)

Till now it's the best conclusion for me, I will try the mod-delay patch from Gira, maybe it's increasing the ADT-effect additionally.

So far, so good, I hope, this thread will still bring some new knowledge about the "ADT-Feature"

Andy
from Red Bull Country

Subtlety can be the enemy.

Matt
from Green Pasture Country

I liked that preset so much, I almost forgot the OP! +1 on this... If you want a thicker, 2 guitar sound, make them different! In a good band, you'll rarely hear two guitarists playing the same thing using the same tone. As you're the only one playing, your options are to a) make the tones very different on each side, or b) add something like M@ did to make more/different notes than what you're playing.

Subtlety can indeed be the last thing you want.

Here it is!

I don't have the Axe with me ATM, this is a preset made only with Axe-Edit, I hope it will work :)

AMP1 and 2 are panned hard L/R into a stereo cab.

The delay time in front of AMP2 is in the 4-9ms interval and it's controlled by LFO2, a little dumping is also going on. The delay is 100% wet.

LFO2 is a random LFO and the run parameter is controlled by LFO1.

LFO1 is another random LFO, higher rate than LFO2. Right now I can't remember how I get to the damp time, LFO1 and LFO2 rates but these parameters work well.

This is the best way I found to prevent chorusing, fixed phasing and other similar effects trying to auto double track.

(For English speaking people, can you understand me? :) )

GiRa …,

I had a go w/your preset and I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to accomplish, or quite frankly even if it’s working as you intend it to or not …, but DAMN ….

After I put in a couple different Amps & Cabs ( of my choice ), it does sound mighty fine ….

I’m after an 80’s double tracked rhythm ( think Mark Day ) …, so I used a combination like this:

HBE w/the OH M75 Cab
Cameron w/the OH H75 Cab

It’s really kickin’ it ! There seems to be just a hint of chorusing, but you don’t notice it when riffing. If you hold a chord and let it ring you can just make it out once in a while !

Anyway, just wanted to say THANKS !

You are welcome! And thanks for the kind words :D

Try to change the min and max values in the delay time modifier, replace 4-9ms with 7-12ms. 4ms is too short, and the sound sometimes gets chorus-like and less wide.

Hi Matt!
I've tried to build something like this with no success... would you share the patch to see the architecture? Thanks!

hi there! sorry for the resurrection of a old thread! but i was (and still i am)
very interested in the lunar rainbow fugue patch, but i can't seem to find it on the axechange!

is there some other way to have it?

I think about the closest you're going to be able to get is to pan one amp hard right, then another hard left with a slight delay (a few milliseconds), and then a slight detune (a few cents). This shouldn't cause any phase problems, so I'm not sure what you're hearing.

As others have pointed out, this is not going to sounds like actual double tracked guitars though. I guess if you wanted to experiment with getting some variation in the delay and pitch, you could assign an LFO or 2 to to slightly vary these.

Hey Matt,
I know this is an older post, but did you ever post this preset? Absolutely stunning, love it.
If you did post it, could you send me the link or post again for me? Thanks!

I only skimmed this thread but didn't see anyone mention using detune.

Running a second amp, into a second cabinet, on a parallel grid line, purposefully EQ differently than the first and having a slight detune and a very small delay, say 40ms will help create the illusion the OP seeks.

Back
Top Bottom