Dotted 1/8 versus ms approach with delay....explain?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Trying to get my U2 Where the Streets Have No Name to sound legit and sync with band well. Thus far I was using ms approach as I always do. After reading the dotted 1/8th seems to be preferred.

What is a dotted 1/8th and how does it different from ms approach? Having a hard time with this easy song, and it's all down to syncing! Help! Thanks!

There is no differences .
ms is a delay time.
dotted 1/8th delay is a delay expressed with a time division. (you can also have 1/8th, 1/4th, ...)
I mean, for a given tempo, you can calculate by yourself the exact ms for a delay time .
Or you can set your delay at dotted 1/8th within the axe FX and let it calculate for you.
Or you can set your delay to dotted 1/8th and use tap tempo.

I suppose that you already know that dotted 1/8th delay is the most used delay of The Edge / U2
The Edge makes a heavy use of slapback delay (1 repeat) into dotted 1/8th delay (3-4 repeats)
;)

I hope it helps you a little.

or you can of course looking here.
The absolut reference in U2 tutorials / U2 sound building
http://www.u2guitartutorials.com/tutorial/where-the-streets.php

Let's say you hit the tap tempo button on the Axe a couple times and it comes out to be 120 BPM. If the delay is set to MS, each repeat will follow your tapping rhythm in the delay, which comes out to be 500ms. If its set to a rhythmic note (let's use 1/4 note for simplicity sake), the delays will repeat every quarter note at 120 BPM. If you switch the delay to a dotted 1/8 while not changing the BPM, it will repeat the delays at a dotted 1/8 at 120 BPM.

The rhythmic note method is great because if you have a fairly quick delay (like a dotted 1/8), you can just tap the beat of the song and let the Axe do the "math". You don't have to sit there and try and hit the tap tempo button really fast to get the perfect dotted 1/8 pattern for the song you're playing.

Plus, if the drummer wanders a bit in tempo you can tap to the beat and still maintain the dotted 1/8th timing. I never use the ms approach. Drummers...

Plus, if the drummer wanders a bit in tempo you can tap to the beat and still maintain the dotted 1/8th timing. I never use the ms approach. Drummers...
Seems when I set to dotted 1/8th in delay and then use the tap tempo it goes bonkers and doesn't do tap right? Is there a global tap tempo I need to set up for bpm instead of ms?

Seems when I set to dotted 1/8th in delay and then use the tap tempo it goes bonkers and doesn't do tap right? Is there a global tap tempo I need to set up for bpm instead of ms?
then you're not doing it right. if set to .8, tap the tap tempo to quarter notes...if you play eighth notes, in time, you'll get The Edge type effect. if you aren't used to playing that way it can take a while to play the 8th notes accurately while hearing the dotted eighth repeats.

When using tap tempo, you may want to check your settings as to which type of tap tempo is used...because there are two different options available. There's an "averaging method" and a "last two" method. (I've got mine set to "last two".) You can see more info on that (including Cliff's response to adding this option) in this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/last-2-tap-tempo.98031/page-3#post-1178096

I also use "Last Two". Averaging always "went bonkers" for me.

Back
Top Bottom