Do's and don'ts of IR's live

Griff_NZ

Inspired
Hey guys. So my band has a show in 2 weeks and I've decided to go direct instead of mic'ing my cab. I have a Headrush 12" frfr that I'm picking up today for my own monitoring. (All I can afford at the moment) So with that said, I have to knuckle down and match IR's to my patches.
I've never used IR's live so some general tips for the best sound going direct would be awesome. I know about HP and LP filtering to get that natural guitar speaker sound. There's a lot of parameters in the cab block that need potential adjusting, but not sure which ones I shouldn't bother with
My band just plays grunge/hard rock/metal covers, so using primarily Marshall and a few modern higher gain amps. Female singer, loud drummer with kick and Tom's mic'ed.
Cheers.

I just choose an IR that sounds good, set LP and HP in the cab block as needed. (Lately I haven’t touched them at all.) I don’t touch anything else really.

Wow that's awesome! I should mention I'm using an Axe II.
That’s important to mention.

on the 2 I would use high and low cuts in the cab block for sure. If you want additional EQ, sure add an EQ. there’s no rule to EQ though. You need to hear what it sounds like to suggest anything.

Through the PA/FOH (Front of house) try and adopt a "sounds good in the mix" of the band. That is what a sound engineer would do anyway with your mic'd up signal. You can always adjust your personal on stage sound via the Global EQ that runs to your monitor or if you want to get a bit more fancy, by an EQ type block in the Fractal and Send block (as though you were sending to a guitar cab but use the send at the end of the chain after the IR and effects and add the PEQ or whatever tweaks you may need if the Global doesn't get you close). Just be aware of the Fletcher Munson curve (which adds highs and lows the louder you get) so to cut through at volume bear that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom