1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. July 27 2018 - support.fractalaudio.com is temporarily down for updates. Please use this forum for support or see the "News" section here for additional details. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Wish Doomy Amps

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Wish List' started by litche, Jun 22, 2016.

1. tade

tade
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I totally support the request for more "doom" amps. Matamps make such an amazing platform for fuzz sounds. It´s the only area where I just can´t get a fully convincing tone.

2. Justin Morse

Justin Morse
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Do you have the
    Do you have the AxeFxII Version of this? This says it's for AX8. I thought I remember there being a converter but I'm not seeing it, I'll dig into it when I get some more time. I've fiddled with some fuzz pedals and the SV Bass in the past and it was ok, it still ended up sounding very digital and flat to me after a few hours but I can give the preset a try once I get it working.

3. h.c.e.

h.c.e.
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

4. Justin Morse

Justin Morse
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

h.c.e. likes this.
  5. Justin Morse

Justin Morse
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I had a chance to try this out after learning of the FracTool and although I appreciate the preset it's not really what I was going for. Here are a couple of presets I've uploaded that get a little closer to what I'm wanting:

Stonez: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5753

Windhand: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5754

6. dr bonkers

dr bonkers
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

bradlake likes this.
  7. reclavea

reclavea
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Any sound clips or specific tunes to hear what this is all about?

8. flageolet

flageolet
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Many quotes in this thread that reflect my feeling towards the axe.
    Although very few seem interested, this is exactly what I'm lacking. So thought to revive once more.

I also cannot get a high gain, warm but not muffled sounding sludge distortion. Seems to go to metal, too crispy too fast
    Fellow guitarist has a matamp and the thing just sounds so damn beautiful :)

9. dr bonkers

dr bonkers
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

What cab is he using with the Matamp?

Many of the amp models in the Fractal get crispy due to the baked in IR files in the unit.

That's why I started offering ir files, many of ehich can get a doomy sound like the Sunn. https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com

bradlake likes this.
  10. lastcaress83

lastcaress83
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I'm sure that, with enough work, the folks at Fractal could nail my Orange OR120 but I have yet to hear a sim that even comes close. One really interesting thing about the amp is that the combination of massive coupling capacitors and the fact that the cathodyne phase inverter comes immediately after the FAC/bass boost reeks havoc! It causes the phase inverter to overload and passes the signal to the power tubes in a very chaotic way. It's typical for someone who is cranking these amps to notice (if they care to pay attention) that one side of the amps power tubes always get hit much harder than the other side but the two sides waiver in unpredictable ways. This imbalance in the power section tends to create an extremely thick and complex distorted sound, almost like two amps at once, that somewhat resembles a massive tweed deluxe. It seems to be a bit difficult to replicate in software for people who have attempted it. I've built a Matamp GT120 clone and the same thing happens in those to a lesser degree. Still, I wish Fractal would give it a shot! I love my amps but it would be very convenient to have it all in a rack unit.

dr bonkers likes this.
  11. B:ASSMASTER

B:ASSMASTER
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'd actually prefer a Green or Matamp for doomy stuff. They have more gain than the Orange OR series. I actually bought the AmpliTube Orange package for the OR-120 model. It doesn't sound too shabby.

Side note: @dr bonkers just released an 8x10 Orange cab. About to snag that, today.

lastcaress83 and dr bonkers like this.
  12. #32 lastcaress83, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    lastcaress83

lastcaress83
    Expand Collapse
    New here

The Matamp/Green amps sound great, too. In my experience building both, the Matamp's are much more "polite" sounding with their onboard gain... my Orange is much meaner than the GT120's I've built/heard. Maybe GT120's are a better platform for fuzz, but I never use fuzz. Here's my amp in action at 2 very different gain/eq levels. It's modified with a Ken Fischer style post-phase inverter master volume which, although it doesn't add gain, it seems to make the amp a bit more transparent and thick sounding(please forgive the slop)

13. crg123

crg123
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Awhile back Cliff said that the Sunn Model T was similar to the JTM45.

You can get super close if you use a Brit JM45 into an Orange IR (SinMix or ML) then crank the Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, & Depth. Then turn the MV trim to 2.00. Add in a bright switch and a boost. Then Lower the input trim.

From there is just adjust accordingly. I usually also lower the gain a bit back and add a PEQ to bring back some of the highs and lows.

14. B:ASSMASTER

B:ASSMASTER
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

That's it? Sounds super simple! :rolleyes:

:D

15. #35 crg123, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    crg123

crg123
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

16. dr bonkers

dr bonkers
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

wouldn't a Sunn cab work better to get the Sunn sound?

B:ASSMASTER and bradlake like this.
  17. zenaxe

zenaxe
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Yeah... I wish @FractalAudio would give this category a little of the FAS Magic/Love. Seems like a perfect candidate... these are mostly older amps where there are obtainable specimens and they are not modern multichannel switch-laden PCB amps so might not be as R&D intensive... probably likely to have some sort of schematics... etc.

ertan, B:ASSMASTER and dr bonkers like this.
  18. ertan

ertan
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Doomy or not, I liked the Sunn Model T a lot, not the original one, the reissue one.

I'd be happy to see it in the II.

dr bonkers likes this.