Don't Want To Buy What I Already Have...

RKF

Inspired
Hey guys,

New AX8 owner here and have a simple question. If I want to experiment with new IR's beyond what's factory loaded in my AX8, would the cab packs on Fractal's site offer all new cabs or do the packs have some IR's that I already have? I just want to avoid redundancy if possible. I ask because many of the cabs in the AX8 have names next to them like Ownhammer and Redwirez.

Also, can anyone recommend a great pack of 4x12 IR's suitable for rock and instrumental playing? I'm not a metal head at all so not looking for that kind of sound, but I'd like to experiment with more Marshall-style cabs than what's factory loaded in my AX8.

Thanks!

Dude it's a rabbit hole. I would expend using what is in the box, and if you cant find something that works, then venture out. IMHO. There are a metric assload of ir's out there, all claiming to be the best thing since sliced bread.

metric assload

Haha, now that's a big number!

Yeah I hear ya. Last thing I want to do is throw money away chasing tones that are probably available with the stock cabs.

I think what peaked my interest in looking at 3rd party IR's was hearing just how different two cabs sound with the same speaker(s). It's unreal how different, say, the Mesa V30 cab sounds compared to the Engl or Marshall loaded with the same speaker. It made me think there must be an endless amount of tones available just by using different IR's. Which unfortunately can end up being nothing but a rabbit hole, like you said.

Thanks for the advice.

Capturing IR's is not a process of getting specific cabinets and specific mics and after that everyone can do it equally well. You can't necessarily say "you have something already" because every IR producer sounds different and every cabinet sounds different. F.ex. there are probably 50+ different Mesa 4x12 IR collections but I doubt most of them sound like f.ex. this clip I made yesterday using Cab Pack 13 (same pack used on the new Periphery album). And even the one cabinet is capable of sounding a hundred different ways if you're not just capturing one speaker which is the case for many packs out there. Actually I have owned 6 Mesa 4x12s and none of them have sounded exactly the same. Differences vary more than f.ex. using a Marshall head or a Mesa head. This is the one I usually recommend as everyone seems to really like it.

Back
Top Bottom