Don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Cassel

Had my Axe FX XL+ now for almost a year...............love it to death.Paid $1700 new.A friend bought the Axe FXIII and I got to demo it.To me all my fave amps sound exactly the same on this new unit that cost's $800 more.What am I missing here?

Had my Axe FX XL+ now for almost a year...............love it to death.Paid $1700 new.A friend bought the Axe FXIII and I got to demo it.To me all my fave amps sound exactly the same on this new unit that cost's $800 more.What am I missing here?
More power... Updated capability, Channels, more I/O, improved modeling (the amps don't actually sound exactly the same), etc...

I use my Axe FX for studio only.I guess all your suggestions make sense other then improved modeling.The stock amps do sound exactly the same.As far as power I run mostly 2 amps into one cab at maybe 30% Fractal cpu and zero FX for tracking.......FX are done post in Studio One 4.I would never print FX.I do not get all the hype on the new version.

I use my Axe FX for studio only.I guess all your suggestions make sense other then improved modeling.The stock amps do sound exactly the same.As far as power I run mostly 2 amps into one cab at maybe 30% Fractal cpu and zero FX for tracking.......FX are done post in Studio One 4.I would never print FX.I do not get all the hype on the new version.
Well... Don't buy one? ;)

Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it isn't for others. If I was only using amps and cabs, I probably wouldn't either... But I primarily use it for performing, and even on the III with 2.5 times the processing power I'm about 75% CPU.

I disagree that the amps sound exactly the same. I've had the II since 2013 and I've had the III for months. Given that a number of changes have been made to the amp modeling, including things like the new Speaker Compliance control, by definition they won't be identical.

Just saying as far as amp tones they sound exactly the same to me and I have been recording guitars since 1984.Youngster's today have so different idea's of guitar tone and with technology today I think it makes them not per say tone deaf but not exactly sure of what they are actually hearing.They want to think the latest is the greatest and that is so far from the truth.Believe in what you believe.Only you know what tone you like.

Well, I may not have your golden ears or recording experience but I hear and feel a difference between the two so I call BS on your "exactly" proclamation from "my" perspective. There are dozens of reasons why the III is a superior product including increased power for future upgrades, channels, greatly improved cab block, vast array of IR's, extra inputs and outputs, and improved workflow (screen) to name just a few.

Just about everyone I have talked to who have owned both are extremely happy with the new unit. The II is a stellar piece of gear no doubt but the III was created with far more capabilities and added room for improvements as well as enhancements over the next several years. I'm kind of bewildered that you cannot understand that to be honest.

Enjoy your II and rock on!

Last edited:
Just saying as far as amp tones they sound exactly the same to me and I have been recording guitars since 1984.Youngster's today have so different idea's of guitar tone and with technology today I think it makes them not per say tone deaf but not exactly sure of what they are actually hearing.They want to think the latest is the greatest and that is so far from the truth.Believe in what you believe.Only you know what tone you like.
Not to be argumentative, but you're essentially saying that I only think I'm hearing something better because I'm too young to know better (but it's ok since I'm allowed to believe it ;)).

Quite honestly, that's seems pretty condescending considering that you don't know anything about me, my age, my experience, etc.

Similarly, I don't know anything about you or your experience (other than what you have shared here)... And I've encountered my share of "experts" who turn out to be less than. (Not saying that is the case, just that I reserve judgement based on past experience)

In any case, I DO know what good tone sounds like and I love my Axe Fx II and the tones I can achieve with it. And if that's all there was, I'd be more than happy with it... But I love the Axe Fx III more.

If you don't hear a difference, that's ok. I'll trust my own ears. You can trust yours... I don't mind.

Putting aside the Amp modeling (in my case I do hear and feel a difference). I think the thing is worth the price just on the effects alone. Funny part I don't run allot of effects when playing out, (but nice to know it's there if you need it). As for the modeling end after getting the III the new cab block alone has made my work flow very different, in a good way.

As said above, if you’re not convinced it’s worth upgrading then don’t. I probably won’t upgrade myself for quite a while yet, partially for financial reasons and partially because I simply don’t need the III’s new capabilities that urgently.

But there is a noticeable difference, both in raw power and hardware improvements as well as the modeling algorithms, and the sound quality gap will only continue to grow as the Axe III is further updated.

I’m just a “youngster” (though the one thing the young have going for them is typically more detailed hearing in the higher frequencies, to be fair), but Unix-Guy and Chris are two of the most knowledgeable veterans on this forum.

Hi Ken,
You're wrong - the ii and the iii sounded a bit different with the first iii firmware, and have been growing apart ever since. I had 2, ii's in my studio, and kept one until the iii arrived. It sounded better than the ii. More open - just better. At that time it was subtle but certainly real. Now that we have had more than a dozen updates, the iii is even better.
In short, they are different hardware, and though the modelling is similar, the iii is quantifiable better than the ii -as it should be.
Having said all that, the ii is a beast and a wonderful unit. If you think they sound the same, stick with it!
Thanks
Pauly

I sold my II pretty quickly after I got the III but even with the first firmware the feel on the III was faster just like on the II vs Ultra when that happened. Let's all be honest here, I'm sure we've all been really happy with our sound with the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, all the IIs, AX8s and now the III. I know many pro level guitarists still touring with Standards. With match EQ I had no problems making my Ultra sound like my real tube amps. With the II it was even easier. With the III we're just starting to get "the new stuff" and enhancements in the modeling, this happened last week right?

My point is this: the III does not make the Axe-Fx II sound any worse. The II is still fully capable of sounding like a real amp. If you can't make that happen then I wouldn't recommend you to fix it by getting the III, the problem is something else. The reasons why you want the III is investing in the updates and future enhancements. There are some people that have stopped updating their firmware because they don't want their sounds to change and they seem really happy about it. To me it sounds like you're happy with the II. No need to bash the III to support it.

Maybe this is exactly why he cannot hear any difference.. :)

Certainly some truth to that possibility, however, some research I’ve read has shown that even ‘younger’ folks are showing earlier hearing loss with one article stating that peak hearing has been shown to decline as early as age 14 in one study group.

Reason it claims is that these days kids are starting with the hand me down smart phone and ear buds when they are so very young. I didn’t get my first Walkman til I was a teenager, and we didn’t have MP3 players etc.
Kids can start in with the earbuds and such a decade earlier now, and listen for longer periods as well each day. As a result the overall wear and tear can show some measurable declines far sooner than any generations since WWII.

Umm, another important point here that nobody has mentioned is the fact that $800 to a lot of people is mere pocket change. $800 isn’t even a night out for some. Lord knows I’ve had my fair share of nights like that, that turned into days and another night, but we don’t need to really get into all that.. the important thing is, it’s all relative. To some $800 is a weeks pay, a months rent, to others it’s a nice night or totally worth buying the latest & greatest regardless if they can even use the damn thing.

Certainly some truth to that possibility, however, some research I’ve read has shown that even ‘younger’ folks are showing earlier hearing loss with one article stating that peak hearing has been shown to decline as early as age 14 in one study group.

Reason it claims is that these days kids are starting with the hand me down smart phone and ear buds when they are so very young. I didn’t get my first Walkman til I was a teenager, and we didn’t have MP3 players etc.
Kids can start in with the earbuds and such a decade earlier now, and listen for longer periods as well each day. As a result the overall wear and tear can show some measurable declines far sooner than any generations since WWII.

This is absolutely a fair point; my aside was meant more as a general defense of “youngsters”, not as an assertion of it being so in this particular case.

That said, I would be interested to see how the numbers stack up for musicians specifically. The general public is indeed blowing their hearing out younger, but on the flip-side of that I think musicians in particular are more aware of taking care of their hearing now than ever before. Just speaking anecdotally of course, but I know far more younger players who are religious earplug or IEM users than not.

Read the spec sheet, even if it sounded exactly the same, it wont for long, and all the IO, channels, extra cpu etc. And dont forget the spectrum analyzer.. that thing is the shit.

I know. It was simply a failed attempt from my side, to make a little joke.
It sounded way better in my head than it actually looks on the screen :)

This is absolutely a fair point; my aside was meant more as a general defense of “youngsters”, not as an assertion of it being so in this particular case.

That said, I would be interested to see how the numbers stack up for musicians specifically. The general public is indeed blowing their hearing out younger, but on the flip-side of that I think musicians in particular are more aware of taking care of their hearing now than ever before. Just speaking anecdotally of course, but I know far more younger players who are religious earplug or IEM users than not.

There certainly has been a big upswing in hearing conservation amongst musicians. At the university where I got my doctorate, the entire student body of the conservatory of music was all given custom musicians plugs as part of their tuition, as was the entire marching band. I can only assume this is happening across the nation. I’ve also seen so many people getting into modelers becasue they want to be able to get great tone for practicing at safer levels, and lots of people coming into my office for IEM,s as they are running silent stages etc.

Certainly still a lot of folks who think it’s not rock n roll if your not ‘in the room’ with a 50 or 100 watt head and a 4x12, but times are changing. Far more lower watt amps on the market these days too, if not bigger sellers than 100 watt heads.

Still have a long way to go, but these things take time. People didn’t stop smoking overnight, but today it’s much less common than it was 20 years ago.

Hopefully in another 10-20 years things like ear plugs at concerts will be the norm, and folks will look back at people going to shows without them the same way we look at old photos of doctors smoking around newborns and wonder what on earth we were thinking lol

I know. It was simply a failed attempt from my side, to make a little joke.
It sounded way better in my head than it actually looks on the screen :)

It was a fine joke. Being an audiologist I always like an opportunity to share knowledge related to hearing loss and hearing conservation. Gets a conversation going and can result in parents taking more attention to their kids listening levels and durations.

Keep in mind I still have several patients a day give me the old “what?” joke when I see them, so essentially any joke other than that is exceedingly fresh and funny in comparison lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom