Don't Overlook Smoothing

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Was trying to get an SRV tone today. Dialed up a Vibroverb, set Speaker Impedance to 2.0, etc. Selected on the 1x15 Vibroverb IRs. Wasn't doing it for me. Turned the smoothing up to around 7.5 IIRC and there it was. Mixed in another IR also w/ smoothing at 7.5 and had a blast.

Was trying to get an SRV tone today. Dialed up a Vibroverb, set Speaker Impedance to 2.0, etc. Selected on the 1x15 Vibroverb IRs. Wasn't doing it for me. Turned the smoothing up to around 7.5 IIRC and there it was. Mixed in another IR also w/ smoothing at 7.5 and had a blast.
Cool! Will give it a try.

Thank you for this tip, where can I find the Speaker Impedance dial? just searched the manual and couldn't find anything. would love to try this if anyone can point me to the location of the Speaker Impedance setting. thanks again.

Thank you for this tip, where can I find the Speaker Impedance dial? just searched the manual and couldn't find anything. would love to try this if anyone can point me to the location of the Speaker Impedance setting. thanks again.

In the Speaker section of the amp block.

I've been meaning to put together a video or post about Smoothing because it's such a powerful feature. In a nutshell, it can remove boxy, nasally, hollow qualities inherent in many IR's by balancing out the frequency spectrum. I haven't shot and analyzed any IR's to prove it, but I suspect it can also eliminate room reflections from IR's. Check out the samples below. Smoothing was set to 8.00, and the only other thing I did in the Smoothed sample was set the High Cut Slope in the Preamp tab of the Cab block to 7500 Hz to round off some of the high end; with smoothing set that high, it can impart a little more top end. The difference between the two samples is pretty dramatic to my ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom