Don't do this..!!!! and thank you G66.eu

virgil

Experienced
Hello dear Axe Fx users..!
Even if this will show you how stupid I am I want to share with you my sad experience I had yesterday .. I have an Axe Ultra since the begining.. I was very happy with my tones I made with the help and advices you all contributors around the forum gave to all of us thru the years... I stood with v. 9.00 on my Ultra for a long very long time never bothered about the other upgrades that came in the long run..just because I enjoyed so much what I had..
Yesterday evening I rehearsed with my group as usual and suddenly I thought that ".. I have to upgrade to v.11.00.."
I don't know why this cross my mind.. but I couldn't get rid of that ..
So I installed Axe editor 1.0.299 on my computer connected everything trough my Midi Sport 2x2 Anniversary and from v.9 to v.10.05 everything went smooth.. but doing the next one ( v.10.05 to v.11) was my nightmare.. watching the process on the editor's screen and the draw bar on Axe display I heard some crack noises and suddenly everything stopped and my Ace Ultra was dead.. no sign of life left in it.. The lights were on and I couldn' t do nothing more than to push the stop button on and off.. I was helpless.. and desperate.. In two days from now I have a gig..
at my home I have an Axe Fx II.. but my home is 300 miles faraway from the studio.. in that hour of the night one of my tehnician jumped in the car and drove to my place to pick up the other device... desperate as I was I called Jaques from G 66 Germany from whom I just bought all of my Fractal devices..
He knew from the begining that I fried my Ultra eprom.. and offered his unvaluable support... In less than 15 minutes he and Sussi packed and delivered with the fastest courier available an eprom to me.. at this moment I write this I can see- tracking the package number-that my salvation electronic piece is on its way to the other side of Europe to me..
( The only good thing I've done is that I made a back-up and system back -up before the whole mess..)
I don't know if this will help me to restore my presets I loved so much..?!?!
and if it will .. how do I reinstall v.9.00 ??? because right now I don't want to touch the editor anymore..???
.. I wrote to you this because it's true:
if the engine goes .. don't try to fix it and
I wanted to express my deepest gratitude and to say Thank You Jaques and Sussi from G 66 for your professional customer support and understanding ..! you are truly the best team and company to deal with...
and one more thing : Jaques and Sussi asked NO MONEY for eprom ..
( they should asked a tax for my stupidity..)
.. in the end of this.. no need to say that I couldn't sleep at all and I am waiting
the dawn to go to the studio and see how can I bring back my beloved patches that are stored in my backup files..??
no axe editor - for now..
some help and advice will be very appreciate !
good luck to you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer.. sorry to hear that.. it's never good when that type of thing happens..

Anyway, I'm no expert, and Jacques @ G66 may be completely correct about the cause of your problem with the Ultra... but I doubt that using AxeEdit to upgrade the firmware is what caused the eprom to fry... The upgrade may have hung and frozen the UItra, then the power cycle triggered the eprom frying, but I'm guessing it's NOT the editor directly.

So..... I highly recommend that you uninstall AxeEdit 1.0.299, reboot the PC and then install AE 0.9.191
It's the last AxeEdit version designed to work with the Std/Ultra models. Nothing has been added to AE for either model since that version came out as all the developement effort has been focused on the Axe-II.
AE 0.9.191 has full support for firmware 11 on both the Std/Ultra models.
You can find that version of AE (and others) and Std/Ultra firmware(s) here:
Steves Axe Stuff

Best wishes..

PS: You can upgrade from 9.00 directly to v11 - you do not need to upgrade to 9.02, 9.03, 10.00, 10.01 and so on.
Going from v9 -> v11 WILL change the sound of your existing presets.. so make backups of them before you upgrade.
Also, I recommend you read the v11 release notes..

So..... I highly recommend that you uninstall AxeEdit 1.0.299, reboot the PC and then install AE 0.9.191
It's the last AxeEdit version designed to work with the Std/Ultra models

which one do you prefer for mac? Version 0.9.191 was not a mac version? I planning to downgrade my standard from v11 to v7.04, since I got my axe II (which I love!)

PS: Nice to hear that you'll be back in business within some hours from now, virgil :)

Cheers
Paco

I never had any issues using the latest Axe-Edit with the Standard I had. All the newer versions have done is add support for Axe II features and the versions that no longer worked with Axe II still worked perfectly fine with Standard/Ultra.

Don't know what caused it but I don't think it was software. It could be just bad luck but without knowing more I'd point my finger at the Midi Sport, as many people seem to have issues with those.

The new EPROM might come with version 11 already installed on it. While you can downgrade to 9, I'd just keep the final firmware and adjust your patches if needed.

which one do you prefer for mac? Version 0.9.191 was not a mac version? I planning to downgrade my standard from v11 to v7.04, since I got my axe II (which I love!)
Paco.. should be the same version for Mac - 0.9.191. I just uploaded to my site.. so try the link in the Mac section for Std/Ultra.

Per Cliff, DO NOT USE the most recently released AE with the AxeII - except for firmware upgrades and bank backups.

Personally, I would not downgrade my Std to 7.04 as I view v11 as being the best (and last) firmware for the Std and the Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom