Donating Gear

Gary_B

So, I am thinking about donating some of my gear. I have a great amp and pedal board (all in >$4k value for sure) I might donate but I want to make sure it goes to a place or person that will and needs it. I was thinking about looking for a music school. I'd even consider donating to an individual but my fear there is I donate and it gets sold for cash....

Any suggestions?

Well, I'd forget about the fear. If you donate it and it gets sold, you still did good, right?

What about just selling the stuff and then donating the money to a charity you want to support? Start by donating 10% of the sale to someone who can handle the listings and logistics for you. Surely during this pandemic you've got some musician friends who could use that nice opportunity.

What kind of amp is it by the way?

Well, I'd forget about the fear. If you donate it and it gets sold, you still did good, right?

What about just selling the stuff and then donating the money to a charity you want to support? Start by donating 10% of the sale to someone who can handle the listings and logistics for you. Surely during this pandemic you've got some musician friends who could use that nice opportunity.

What kind of amp is it by the way?
Some truth. For me though I'd love to see the gear go to a kid/young man who could get some real enjoyment out of it. When I was a kid I couldn't afford a thing. I borrowed, hung out at friends, etc until I got my first guitar, an Aria. For me it'd be more worth it to see some kid jamming somewhere nearby then donating cash. Sounds dumb I know....

Anyway, amp is a Marshall 2525H and a 2536 2x12 cab. Snfd the rest of the gear less 1 pedal, Elctro Harmonix Small Stone.

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_193919956.jpg
    PXL_20201023_193919956.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20201023_193937586.jpg
    PXL_20201023_193937586.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20201023_194015029.jpg
    PXL_20201023_194015029.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
I love your idea. I also gave away quite some gear (and free lessons) to youngsters with little cash. I’m in school management and often a helping hand with the school’s music projects. When there’s a motivated youngster with a troubled background I’d give him something like a pedal or other stuff. I always had the music teacher give it “like he found it iN Storage”. No need for anyone to know it came from me. Also prevents ppl asking for stuff or thinking of favouritism. Maybe local charities who collect used stuff for the needy or church can help you find a good person. Or a school nearby. Ask the janitor/concierge or school nurse. Plenty of good kids in a bad situation that can use a great day.

Kind regards, Harm

Some good ideas. I'll look at the local schools here and see if I can find out anything. Thanks for the ideas.

I came across a cool thread at gearslutz. A guy was donating a piece of gear, but the rule was the receiver then had to donate another piece of gear. Kind of a pay it forward deal.

I actually just looked up the guy I took lessons from for about a year in high school. He started/works for a music academy in town (I don't actually live there any more but hey, I'm still close) so I'm going to reach out to him.

https://valleymusicinstitute.com/

Schools, lesson shops, "girls that rock" type programs...churches...

Great job. Its a great feeling to help others.

I think it's not secret I've done a fair share of music gear flipping...

And there's a lot of charities, and causes... and I regretfully have to say- I never liked anything I've seen out of them.

I'm always seeking gear, and sometimes- at the right price I can't say no.

About 4 years ago a chain of pawn shops had to get rid of excessive inventory- I realized this after seeing all the guitars at one shop for $25-30 worth 10x that, and then every other location started to call me.

They sold me 125 guitars at an average of $16.25 each. Most were new.

I put them in storage...

And over the years contacted numerous charities, all who had like 'sponsorships' with big brands etc... and I'm like 'listen...even wholesale you're paying 150-200 for these squiers and I don't buy that stuff but I find them for 20-30 all the time- whatever you're currently spending I can get you 8x the guitars for the money and I don't want to make money- I just want to pass on the good deals to people that can use it or kids that can't afford it"

I got so much bullshit it was astounding... it's all sponsors and corporations- mostly trying to look good and not actually help people or get their money to go further. Everything I saw first hand, I hated. And- I have to conclude it's really not about what they say it's about or want it to seem.

Even at concerts where they auction a guitar and the money goes to charity and the artist signs it- I've offered these people free guitars- with no promotion, no advertising, nothing in exchange- It's a simple act where I can take something new/mint I pay $20 and turn it into a lot more for a good cause and every single time- it's been bullshit, or fake bastards not taking me up on anything.

Oh so what happened to the 125 guitars?
I competitor of that pawn shop opened up their biggest store, went to check it out- they had no guitars
I asked "you got any guitars" they said "no we need some"
The same day I got a post card from my storage unit they were doubling the rate I prepaid for up til that time...
And then unloaded a storage locker of guitars on them. Twice.

So... sell me your gear/pedals or not- I think you're better off selling and doing something good with the money.

I know when I rotate motorcycle gear, I post it on a "free gear for active duty" section of a forum I'm on. At least I know it's getting used. Maybe there is something like that for music gear?

I know when I rotate motorcycle gear, I post it on a "free gear for active duty" section of a forum I'm on. At least I know it's getting used. Maybe there is something like that for music gear?
Troops don't need gear. Look at any barracks parking lot and see all the Mustangs and Chargers and whatnot. Watch them file into the Package Store/Class 6 and see how much $$$ they spend on alcohol.

Troops don't need nearly the charity most people have been led to believe. It sounds like sacrilege, I know, but trust me I speak from experience.

Each one of us is a volunteer who gets paid. The Oliver Twist routine is starting to piss me off, to be honest.

What they need is a smack on the back of the forehead and the Clockwork Orange treatment being forced to learn personal financial management, not being continually rewarded for being young dumb and full of cum (drinking every weekend, knocking up meth pigs and getting married at 19 to get out of the barracks) by getting free shit from the community.

iu
on

You'd be donating your gear you spent hard earned $$$ to dudes who are - quite literally - pissing away money every weekend.

Donate your gear to local public schools. Kids need gear for jazz band and pit orchestra and stuff like that.

Check this. I think this was the foundation that EVH was involved with. https://www.mhopus.org/

Don't donate to any for-profit institutions.

Last edited:
So, I am thinking about donating some of my gear. I have a great amp and pedal board (all in >$4k value for sure) I might donate but I want to make sure it goes to a place or person that will and needs it. I was thinking about looking for a music school. I'd even consider donating to an individual but my fear there is I donate and it gets sold for cash....

Any suggestions?

I've donated to https://www.savethemusic.org/ and https://www.mhopus.org/

Ive always donated IT gear to Oakland CA USD in my past 20+ years as a IT professional...
Donations are always welcome here...

Back
Top Bottom