Dominican Republic - bringing guitars

Keg8605

Power User
Playing a corporate show in the Dominican and the client has informed us that it's very hard to get approval for us to bring in guitars and equipment. For this reason we are thinking of renting guitars to not cause an issue but I'm wondering if anyone here has traveled there to play and dealt with the customs there at all? We always rent a guitar or two for backups and every time they are garbage. It seems though we don't have a choice.

I have no personal experience with the Dominican Republic but offer this. I would rent, paying very close attention to the rental agreement regarding theft. I get playing on your own gear, but in such a place, risk of loss or problems with customs runs pretty high. It's just a gig. Not worth a big hassle IMHO. Renting would enable you to enjoy your trip there rather than sweating and fretting over your gear. Just my $0.02.

That's the way I'm leaning. it's just weird since we do this each year -Bahamas, Mexico, Hawaii, jamaica...no problems. They get us work permits usually and what not but I guess DR is just much more of a pain. Its tough too the company pays us really well and obviously we want to be at our best. At least I've gotten better at setting up guitars so there's that :) Not having to get my guitars on the plane would be a nice feeling too. That's always a bit stressful. I'm not sure I can even sneak an AX8 in my bag.

Back
Top Bottom