Doing shows with the FM3, very specific question

Stevetzag

Let's say I have it set up where all I need access to is the 3 foot switches.
I've heard a lot of horror stories where people get beer spilled on their gear, would a plastic bag over the whole unit be overkill? or necessary?

I mean yeah, it will look a little dumb but better safe than sorry? or am I overthinking it?

There was a million jokes I could have made about "protection" but I decided to hold back.

Plastic bags can be a lifesaver for outdoor rainy gigs, but is probably not needed for the occasional spill, the FM3 was built for the road, but ya never know, if it makes you feel better.

If I were really worried about spills I would probably get an FC6 to put on stage and keep the FM3 somewhere out of harm’s way. A little more expensive than a plastic bag, but you get three more switches and you don’t have to worry about ventilation issues.

The FM3 generates heat and needs ventilation to operate correctly. Enclosing it in a bag could impede that ventilation. I’d go that route with extreme caution.

If you really need to play a swampy-floored hole-in-the-wall, maybe consider using four, cheap outboard switches and stand-in switch mapping them to the main switches. Then you can place the FM3 on a music stand or a soap box crate next to the jug player, out of harms way.

I've played the crappiest watering holes for 20 some years, never once did anyone ever spill anything on any of my gear, and I take nearly 10 grand worth of gear to these shit holes.... lol... so sad... but if you want to gig but also do not want to be a full time pro, options are extremely limited.... anywho...

I think many worry way to much about this, and if your playing venues where all the drunks are on stage with beers in hand, probably better off just using a something cheap like a BOSS GT1.

I've played the crappiest watering holes for 20 some years, never once did anyone ever spill anything on any of my gear, and I take nearly 10 grand worth of gear to these shit holes.... lol... so sad... but if you want to gig but also do not want to be a full time pro, options are extremely limited.... anywho...

I think many worry way to much about this, and if your playing venues where all the drunks are on stage with beers in hand, probably better off just using a something cheap like a BOSS GT1.

Ill do what some hip hop musicians do with their vocals and play the studio guitar track over the PA... no unit needed:cool:

Do you currently play places where this happens? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it... That said, I have done my share of finger wagging or outright yelling at people putting their drinks (and purses, and coats) on stage anywhere near my pedalboard gear. Or I go right up to the edge of the stage and dance in that spot - that gets them to move that drink real quick before it gets kicked over! :p

Reactions: Rex
Do you currently play places where this happens? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it... That said, I have done my share of finger wagging or outright yelling at people putting their drinks (and purses, and coats) on stage anywhere near my pedalboard gear. Or I go right up to the edge of the stage and dance in that spot - that gets them to move that drink real quick before it gets kicked over! :p
Now get this:
I've never played a gig in my life :)

BUT I have plans to in the near future (forgot about covid for a second ha)
Rather when I can

I've heard a lot of horror stories where people get beer spilled on their gear, would a plastic bag over the whole unit be overkill? or necessary?

I mean yeah, it will look a little dumb but better safe than sorry? or am I overthinking it?

There was a million jokes I could have made about "protection" but I decided to hold back.
Not sure what your experience, but I have been playing an average of about 3-4 show a months for the last 9 years or so. I have never had a problem with someone spilling their drink on my gear. Maybe I am just lucky. I wouldn't sweat it. It is all part of the club scene.

I will get two two button footswitches and connect them with the FM 3 so that the FM 3 can stay in the background of the stage. As I have a polytune 2 Mini tuner there is no need for me to have the FM 3 at the front of the stage when the weather should get "beer-rainy" 😀

As long as those drunks on stage are hot chicks who cares! Lol. And yes, it rarely happens but it does happen. I've had people try to hand me shots and spill it on my Vox Tonelab SE (back in the day). The only thing that happened was the switches got sticky and I was able to clean them up.
A bartender once sat a shot on my keyboard. I kept saying no, no, no! It spilled into the disk drive (an Ensoniq TS-10). Well, we were a track act so, the show's over! The local music store, George's Music was closed but I had the managers phone #. Called him up, he opened the store a got me a loaner for the night. So you just never know. If you want the gig to go start to finish... always have a backup plan.

You will quickly find bigger things to worry about when you start doing shows (e.g., playing the songs "well," keeping a good drummer, actually getting paid, etc.). Otherwise, if this is still a big concern, and you are the least bit handy, I have a few ideas...

You could simply velcro a thin, clear 12"x6" piece of acrylic (~$5.00 online) across the top using the grab handles as mounting locations. If needed you could add a weather seal strip along the back so it seals up the back of the unit to protect liquids from getting in that way. Optionally, instead of velcro, you could use 2 or 4 small clips- find ones that have square adhesive backs and will clip in (correct size) to the grab handles. This might be an even better design. I would look for clips with a slightly larger inner diameter and non scratch material which would allow you to slide the protective cover to easiy access the additional controls as needed. A 3rd option is to use a hing (towards the rear) so you can lft it up to access the controls. There are many very easy solutions to achieve what you are looking to do.

You can experiment with the size of the acrylic but you would want it to be clear and also large enough to cover the vast majority of sensitive areas on top (screen, dials, etc.), while still leaving room for you to access the foot-switches and a little bit of breathing room on the sides (which you could also weather seal, but I wouldn't.) This would be very easy to remove, very inexpensive (<$10) and a practical solution to what you perceive to be a potential problem. I think this would go a lot way to "help" protect the unit from any major spills and even light rain.

Back
Top Bottom