Doing a little experiment today FRFR vs running thru a Power amp

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
so I've had my RCf NX 12sma for about a month now and I' really love the way it sounds.
the only complaint I've had is that it's a little stiff feeling when playing lead (very unforgiving)
so I started playing around with the Sag and Xformer match parameters and throwing a compressor on and off in the front of my patch layout.
Better but still not where I'd like it.
Well a buddy of mine has a Marshall TSL 122 2X12 combo and he let me borrow it, (and could buy it off of him if I so do desire for a great price)
well I've only spent about an hour so so comparing them side by side but I must say, the Axe II sounds very good thru Marshall power amps.
This is the 2nd time I've run mine thru one (the 900 50/50 is the other one I tried and also liked it very much).
All of my Marshall/Atomica/Cameron/Friedman ect patches sound freaking great thru this thing , as is somewhat expected.
They all sound more similar as well (which was also expected), but what I did not expect was that the response and feel of my RCF is no longer all that far off of what
I'm getting from the Marshall combo. So I'm wondering what else I can do to get even more "spring and response" from the RCF?
for playing rhythm I'm all set , I 'm just missing some of that "liquidy" feel that you get from tube amps and regular guitar speakers (so close :eek: )

I'm not sure which way I should be adjusting the Xformar match, what I should try with both of the dynamics parameters (if anything).
I didn't touch any of my EQs on my patches I just turned off the amp and cabs sims (left the amp sims on as wll actually liked them on better).
I know there's no way I'm going to get my Recto patches to translate the same thru a marshall power amp and a Gh65+Vintage celestion(whatever that is),
but now that I have them side by side I'd love to be able to get the 'bounce" out of the RCF that I've been looking for.
I've also found tht lately I've been turning off my drive pedals in my patches and playing with less gain, seems to make the notes feel and sound thicker as I go up higher on the neck
so adding more gain is not going to work for me. (maybe rasing Input trim instead?, raising bias?, the compression level? there are so many variables here to deal with)
So can anyone help me out here?
I'm so close to finally being really completely happy with my rig .............................almost there.............

i actually turned off PAsim trough my HS80´s and liked it a lot. Just another flavour i guess. But i still liked it. Looking forward to the next generation of FW.

You are going to hate me but just wait for the next version of firmware. That's all I can say.
To me that sounds as if the Axe-Fx wasn't quite there yet. As if one wasn't able to achieve a sound that could compete with a genuine tube amp.
And that while everyone has been contemplating it was as good or better tah an tube amp for quite some time now ;)

I've got great tone through my studio monitors and FR monitor.

But I prefer my Axe-Fx with power amp and guitar cabinet setup, when it comes to "filling the room". It just cuts better.
Downsides of course are more gear to lug, and less flexibility. For me it's worth it.

To me that sounds as if the Axe-Fx wasn't quite there yet. As if one wasn't able to achieve a sound that could compete with a genuine tube amp.
And that while everyone has been contemplating it was as good or better tah an tube amp for quite some time now ;)

For several years, actually. And getting substantially better with every firmware update. So...theoretically it should probably be about 30-40 times as good as what it's modeling by now! :)

R09 0019 by Michael Aschoff on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free Here's a clip of my cab and QSCs in W/D/W with some FX mixing. The QSCs are boxy sounding so I've tried to compensate their frequency response curve with the global EQ. I think the cab sounds a little thin and the QSC too full but together they sound nice ... it's a balance I guess. Would love any ideas or suggestions regarding this as well. Can't wait for the new firmware Scott! :)

Hey guys...I've been using a Rocktron Velocity 300 with Atomic cabs. I must say the drivers in the Atomics are not holding up well to the pounding...after a few months, i have to replace them as they start breaking up more and more. Especially bothersome when i want a clean sound.

I don't know whether to try an rfc powered cab, or replace the driver (again) in the Atomic with something more substantial. I do ALOT of gigging in the NYC area and beyond.

I have two 1x12 cabs with powerful JBL speakers, but they color the tone too much. I have also tried a few powered speakers such as the QSC and some Yamahas (2 different types of each) They all seem to sound harsh and stiff and compressed.

What do you think??? Thanx.

Hey guys...I've been using a Rocktron Velocity 300 with Atomic cabs. I must say the drivers in the Atomics are not holding up well to the pounding...after a few months, i have to replace them as they start breaking up more and more. Especially bothersome when i want a clean sound.

I don't know whether to try an rfc powered cab, or replace the driver (again) in the Atomic with something more substantial. I do ALOT of gigging in the NYC area and beyond.

I have two 1x12 cabs with powerful JBL speakers, but they color the tone too much. I have also tried a few powered speakers such as the QSC and some Yamahas (2 different types of each) They all seem to sound harsh and stiff and compressed.

What do you think??? Thanx.

The RCF NX10 SMA is a great sounding and very light and compact FRFR option with plenty of power - very easy to bring in the metro - highly recommended by yours truely.

I love the RCF 12 SMA I 've got.

but now back to my original post , since 9.0 looks like it may be a while any other suggestions for geting that extra "bounce"
that is eluding me?
BTW the Brit Pre into the loop of this Marshall combo I've got sounds way better than the combo itself does as a stand a lone amp.
it's a great match for a marshall powr amp.

Thanx for the input, chaps! After doing some serious research for a few hours, I decided to give Matrix Amplification my confidence. I just now ordered a GT1000FX and two CFR passive cabs. Holy Moly! Now to start selling stuff so i can pay for it!!!
I did some listening and some review reading. I am confident it will be better than what i have been using. Must say i am a bit nervous and excited!

How about a little reverb to get more "spring and response" from the RCF?
medium room mix level 8 (ala Scott Petersons video) works great to give the sims a little air.
something else.............................

Back
Top Bottom