Doh!!!! I bought some studio monitors.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I managed to get myself an absolutely fantastic deal on a s/h pair of Alesis M1 active Mk2 monitors locally.
I collected them, stuck them in the car and drove home. I then noticed that you can't connect with regular guitar leads and can only use XLR cables.
Which I dont have!
So in the words of Homer Simpson, "Doh, Doh,Doh!!!!"
I've ordered some XLR cables so fingers crossed should be up and running very soon.
The Alesis monitors were not my first choice, but at the price I paid for them I could not say no. Do any of you lot have any experience with the same monitors?
It will be interesting to hear what they sound like.

Dixie,
Any update? I just got an AX8 and am literally brand new to all this. I ran it through my Blackstar tube amp in the front and then looped and it sounded like crap (not sure if I’m doing something wrong)… so I want to get some monitors for home play. Did you get your cables yet and how is the sound?? Thanks.

Hi @fishhead , I apologise for not having seen your comment until today (28th July).
I did buy some XLR to jack cables which worked (as in gave me the connection).
However, I hate the monitors, so I'm currently looking around to see if any s/h or new monitors come up locally that should (going off advice/comments/remarks on this forum) give me a much more enjoyable sound.
I added a comment recently mentioning that my wife had gone away for a week and left me home alone with the chance to get my guitars out and have a bit of a play around, and that I could not get into it, so put things back in the cupboard. Thinking about it, I blame my monitors for being rubbish. lol

Hi @fishhead , I apologise for not having seen your comment until today (28th July).
I did buy some XLR to jack cables which worked (as in gave me the connection).
However, I hate the monitors, so I'm currently looking around to see if any s/h or new monitors come up locally that should (going off advice/comments/remarks on this forum) give me a much more enjoyable sound.
I added a comment recently mentioning that my wife had gone away for a week and left me home alone with the chance to get my guitars out and have a bit of a play around, and that I could not get into it, so put things back in the cupboard. Thinking about it, I blame my monitors for being rubbish. lol
I have the mid priced Yamaha HS8 which I like but there is some buzz here lately about the Adam T series in similar price range that I'm looking into as possible a step up - both worth a test listen.

I had alesis elevate 5 mkii.. Good monitors.. I switched to ik multimedia iloud micro monitors.. Great monitors if you have small unthreated room.

I’ll second Bruce’s comment - See money as the second or third important parameter….you’ll have those things for years, and every preset, every tweak, every chord will be affected by how good your monitors are. If you don’t have the money for a good pair, wait and save a little while.
Just my opinion of course but I’m old and have tried many.
Thanks
Pauly

Thank you @sprint @Bruce Sokolovic @Fab8040 and lastly but not leastly @pauly for your comments.
I have not experienced any monitors other than my own, but I'm tempted to say some Yamaha or (low end) Adams might be the ones for me to look at. I shall report back (hopefully soon) with an update. As much as I hate Facebook I shall be checking out the Marketplace section close to home to watch out for a pair of monitors. Or I will check out deals online and buy some new ones if a deal can be done.

I actually have a pair of Yamaha HS5's that got fried by a power surge. I could fix them, but can't find the parts I need online without paying way too much so I bought a used-but-like-new set of Alesis Elevate 5 MkII monitors off CL. They sound good, just not quite as detailed as the Yamahas. They hook up with 1/4" cables all around. Good thing I had a bunch of spare guitar cables.

I'm intrigued by these ADAM T monitors though. Normally ADAMs have been a little out of my budget.

I actually have a pair of Yamaha HS5's that got fried by a power surge. I could fix them, but can't find the parts I need online without paying way too much so I bought a used-but-like-new set of Alesis Elevate 5 MkII monitors off CL. They sound good, just not quite as detailed as the Yamahas. They hook up with 1/4" cables all around. Good thing I had a bunch of spare guitar cables.

I'm intrigued by these ADAM T monitors though. Normally ADAMs have been a little out of my budget.
They all have a ribbon tweeter. I find that tweeter to translate with more high end detail and a bit softer, causing less fatigue at volume. I’m not one of those guys who can mix at flyfart volume. I need some dB moving to hear what’s what and the Adam’s I can mix longer on.

Back
Top Bottom