Doesnt sound or feel right

MetalGarret

Inspired

My ears are seriously fatigued from the last few years of tweaking with the Axe-FX II. I'm trying to get a more authentic sound with the USA amps. Taking Petrucci's lead, I try to match his level of tone. I followed the wiki to match his metal sound. That roar with that sweet attack and bite. I had been trying to describe on here what I meant by that (and everyone has been very helpful) and as it turns out, I meant drive and treble. The treble controls the roar and the drive it seems provides that sort of sweeping pick attack. (Correct?) I ALMOST got it. The clip above is my latest attempt at a good mix with the tone. But I can't help but think that it's not as big a sound as I can get. It doesn't fill the spectrum compared to commercial mixes. I could use some help on what can help make this mix better. Thoughts?

On another note, funny thing. I tried cab pack 7, Cab pak 9 and OH's 412 mesa cab. One thing they have in common for me is that they sound less lively and thinner sounding than the stock cabs that come with the Axe II. I feel like that shouldn't be.

Is this a stereo recording of the guitar? It sounds like "big mono". If so, try truly double tracking the guitars and panning the two separate takes to either side.

Also, we should get together and jam.

Your not far off at all. I agree that the guitars might sound bigger panned a bit wider. And some minor inconsistancies in the tracks performance make them a tad mushy.

Im being nit picky because it sounds pretty damn good. But thats what im hearing that is keeping it from the next level

keep in mind that you hear a compressed, post porduced, mastered mix.
his amp tone are not what you hear on the record. close but add colors in every part of the chain.

Thanks for the responses!

I did actually record two separate mono tracks and panned them 50 to each side. Yeah my performances aren't final cause of the fuck ups. lol

All I have on the master right now is the slate digital FG-X compressor/limiter. I dunno what else I could put on there to help polish it up.

I did actually record two separate mono tracks and panned them 50 to each side. Yeah my performances aren't final cause of the fuck ups. lol

All I have on the master right now is the slate digital FG-X compressor/limiter. I dunno what else I could put on there to help polish it up.

"slate digital FG-X compressor/limiter" literally the ONLY Slate plug I dislike.

have you try the built in pre color ?

Is this a stereo recording of the guitar? It sounds like "big mono". If so, try truly double tracking the guitars and panning the two separate takes to either side.

Also, we should get together and jam.

me too. metal axe fx fest bay area, metal only lollllllllllllllllll ftw ps anyone going to King Diamond in NOvember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the cab section, you have Mic Pre, they add tone and color to the final result, like in a real recording situation, the mic and mic pre are in the chain to get to recording medium.
Try to know what they used on the recording of the tone you looking for and dial it on the axe.

I messed with it a bit and got an ok metal tone with it for sure.

But it isn't the goal. The goal is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFMDGSWhHbo (@4:41)

That soft attack is the goal. It's like a chugging sound. All my attacks are too pointy sounding. I've tried all the USA amps and tried cab packs 7 and 9 (which sounded weaker than the stock cabs, to be honest. Could be something I'm doing wrong there.) I've tried all the drive blocks and fought between gain on the amp and gain on the drive block. I've been going in circles trying to get it but I either end up too thin, too bright, too dark or way too overdriven. It's starting to hurt, sorta. HAHA

Last edited:
Just as a guy that loves the axe fx and owns a tube amp I say ..

Dialing in tones you like shouldn't be so hard with top end gear. If you can't get it in a couple years life is too short. . The strength of the axe fx is its diversity and flexibility. If you really want pure Petrucci tone buy a mark.

There is no shame in owning both. The tube amp for the core tone you love and the axe fx for the tones you want to be able to use.

Dialing in tones you like shouldn't be so hard with top end gear. If you can't get it in a couple years life is too short. . The strength of the axe fx is its diversity and flexibility. If you really want pure Petrucci tone buy a mark.

There is no shame in owning both. The tube amp for the core tone you love and the axe fx for the tones you want to be able to use.

I understand where you're coming from.

But I bet you this can be done...

I liked your clip. If I was going to pick something I'd say the snare had a ping over picking apart the guitar tone.

Good point. But, that said, good luck getting Petrucci's tone recorded 100% with a real amp, mic, and your computer, too. ;)

Don't forget that Petrucci's tone is also the tone of the studio sound engineer and tons of studio gear. I feel this is often overlooked and maybe one doesn't appreciate how big that part is until actually getting some studio mixing experience.

I'm not talking about his technique. haha im well aware im not him. It's just that one element. His picking attack. You're telling me that's not achievable with the axe fx?

Back
Top Bottom