Does your choice of pickups really matter?

I've tested around 500 different iterations of pickups through the Axe, yes they do matter. Everything from hot winds, low winds, Alnico 2, 3, 5, 8, ceramic, varying wire tension, varying wind patterns, varying wire, varying coil balances...

500 is no exaggeration.

the pickups and build quality are the biggest contributors to a guitar's tone
this is where it all starts
the Axe will behave like a real amp and so process the signal that it receives..
pickups and build quality make a difference

boutique vs the more common DiM / Seymours etc
they're all good and all different.. so it's simply a matter of what voice you're trying to create
my fave pups are Bulldog.. that said I love the DiM Breed and PAF Pro, and the Seymour Hotrail in my Strat
what the boutique guys can do that the big Co's can't is to make your pups individual..
for example.. tell Bulldog what guitar you're putting the pups in, what it's made of and the tone you're looking for, and he'll make a pup specifically for you to get you there..

I want a pup! Bulldog, send me a pup!

(Well I did check out their site, so thanks for the referral.)

Seriously, has anyone tried those hot swappable pickup setups? A year or so ago I did some research and it looked like a few competitors made them. It would make an interesting pair with the Axe FX. I pretty much tailor most presets to a specific pickup location (and on my guitar there are only 3). If I had modules that would snap a new pickup, whether during a string change, or via the back of the guitar, it would be very nice.

Last edited:
I want a pup! Bulldog, send me a pup!

(Well I did check out their site, so thanks for the referral.)

Seriously, has anyone tried those hot swappable pickup setups? A year or so ago I did some research and it looked like a few competitors made them. It would make an interesting pair with the Axe FX. I pretty much tailor most presets to a specific pickup location (and on my guitar there are only 3). If I had modules that would snap a new pickup, whether during a string change, or via the back of the guitar, it would be very nice.
awesome… don't be shy of talking to Bulldog.. they make superb pups..
also, I don't mind if you mention me to them..
they know me as Clarky [just like everyone else.. including my mum.. lmao]

the pups I worked with them on are the Extremist and the Hot PAF
my Extremist has the AlNiCo 5 magnet..

awesome… don't be shy of talking to Bulldog.. they make superb pups..
also, I don't mind if you mention me to them..
they know me as Clarky [just like everyone else.. including my mum.. lmao]

the pups I worked with them on are the Extremist and the Hot PAF
my Extremist has the AlNiCo 5 magnet..

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking at this, and will certainly mention your referral if I end up buying from them.

I've tested around 500 different iterations of pickups through the Axe, yes they do matter. Everything from hot winds, low winds, Alnico 2, 3, 5, 8, ceramic, varying wire tension, varying wind patterns, varying wire, varying coil balances...

500 is no exaggeration.

holy FN scooby snacks!

500 is no exaggeration.

Probably too much work, but did you keep written records...(and would want to share)?

Would be great to see your thoughts during the progress through these... and my guess is you were able to settle on a few combo's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom