Does your band tune down, from standard A440 ?

We tuned down a whole step. Our original songs just seemed to ask for it that way. Was nice for the singer too, when we did 80s metal covers for most of the rest of the time.

All my guitars at a gig are tuned to E, with the exception of one Strat that's downtuned to E flat. The other guitarist (acoustic only) and the bass player (also acoustic) are tuned to E flat. But the majority of our songs are played in standard tuning, so the other guitarist uses a capo and the bass player doesn't use open strings. The band started using this approach long before I joined them. I have the E flat Strat for just a handful of songs they actually play in E flat (which they do for ease of vocals).

Currently I gig with 4 guitars, one tuned to standard, one to drop D, one is a 7 string, with the B alternating between regular B and drop A, and one guitar tuned to what I call Black Sabbath tuning, all strings tuned down 1,5 step to C#. I might add a 5th guitar tuned regularly, except for the low E dropped down all the way to B. But I have to draw the line as 4 is already stretching it and the 7 string can cover that low B sound.

Whole step down, A=432hz

Unless I'm mistaken...If you're using standard concert pitch as the reference point, (A=440Hz) and you're tuning the entire guitar down a whole step, your A is ringing at 391.995Hz. Not 432Hz. (Again, with A=440Hz being the reference point, and looking solely at the open A string, you're tuning it down to be a G.)

Interesting thread. Never would have guessed so many 'down tuners'. Our foundation songs are standard tuning then I have one guitar tuned to open Eb and one to Double Drop D.

One band I played with tuned to Eb and I never liked it; changed the feel too much from standard E. I didn't want to use higher gauge strings to compensate since I was also playing with other bands that stayed in E. We would occasionally need to use a bass player/vocal sub on some shows (a very good, experienced singer) and he said singing in Eb was 'weird'...singing everything a half step flat messed with his note placements, and just felt strange.

My current band floated the idea of downtuning and I was very glad when we decided not to.

Back
Top Bottom